Page 51 of 81 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Another hot rod

Front suspension

Front suspension goes together with freshly plated hardware.

The old Bilstein struts that came on the car were re-valved to the shop's specs but the hubs had already been raised 18mm and gusseted by the PO. They were finished off with a fresh coat of John Deere green paint.

The gusseted lower control arms supposedly came off a factory prepped rally car. Robert Weber at MagicSix put new bushings on them before shipping them over. We saw the arms previously in the thread being resprayed satin black to match the the other suspension bits.

The standard specs for the "ST" included 15mm sway bars front and rear. We thought we had an 18mm front sway bar for the project. However, it turned out to measure 19mm.

The front aluminum S calipers already had stainless pistons and cleaned up nicely to their original factory anodized finish, so it turned out they did not require at trip to Neunelfer.

All appropriate fasteners are daubed with yellow paint subsequent to torquing them down to duplicate factory practice.

Raj: Thanks for good thoughts.
    Bob: Your/Ophelia's old sway bar arms appear in the second image below.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Flunder; 01-03-2011 at 02:57 PM.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Oil tank, lines, filler neck and cap

Several board members contributed to the research and analysis of the ST cooling system for engine lubricant, OliverR, Raj and Gib most prominent amongst them. That was back when this thread started over two years ago. Many thanks to all.

The following images provide further detail on the direction we took with the filler neck, dry sump tank and lines.

The steel 80mm Blau oil filler cap may be from one of John Starkey's old cars. It came on an RSR oil tank that was sold onwards to another project when the decisioin was taken to stick with the original MY 1971 oil tank, now enlarged and baffled courtesy of Fabcar. The original MY 1971 oil tank allowed us to retain the original oil thermostat set-up, correct for a 2,3L "ST."

Many period images exist validating Race Department use of the the large Blau oil fill cap on the Safari prepped 2,3L "ST."

Jim Logan provided the wide mouth filler neck about five years ago; I think he made some of these up for sale to fellow board members at the time. The image shows the filler neck before welding on the fitting for the uberdruckventil.
    Aside from the Fabcar modified oil tank, the system comports with Race Department practice for the 2,3L "ST."
    Last edited by Flunder; 01-03-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Early 911S Registry

Questions from 912-2.8

Quote Originally Posted by 912-2.8 View Post

Flunder: Three questions if i may... Did you seal the case halves with three bond 1104 or the Dow 735 fluorosilicone? How long was the engine run before the rebuild with the aluminum sprockets? How come you didn't run spray bars as well, a la 935 (since the feed holes are already there).
    Thanks for your post.

Sorry, I don't know the sealant preferred by the engine builder.

The engine had some hours on it but just exactly how much time is unknown to us. The PO of the engine passed away some years ago but his daughter had one DE on the engine since its rebuild to 2,9L in 2005. The aluminum sprockets still looked good - but some other bits were not nearly as nice.

I suppose the center oiling/spray bar combination of the 935 is the highest and best evolution, however, the old cam towers that came with the RSR cams had no provison for spray bars and some prefer the look of the ST/RSR set up.

And best of luck with your 2.8 build; look forward to seeing some postings!
    Early 911S Registry

Rear suspension

Rear suspension bits are painted satin black and tidied up with freshly plated harware, new bushings, etc. before everything goes together.
    Early 911S Registry

Suspension restoration to factory finishes - part two

Steering rack and axles were given a similar treatment to restore them to factory finishes.
    Last edited by Flunder; 01-03-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Early 911S Registry

Rear suspension assembly

The attached image provides a look at the assembled rear suspension from the vantage point of the engine bay cavity.
    Early 911S Registry

Starting to look like a 2,3L ST

A belated Happy New Year to all from Another Hot Rod!

(No, this is not Curt Egerer's garage, notwithstanding the Mars Red turbo quattro coupe in the background).
    Last edited by Flunder; 01-03-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Early 911S Registry

Tom, I notice the rear suspension arms were not reinforced, had the factory not gotten to that level yet in 71?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Reinforced bananas correct for 2,3L ST?

Ed: Thanks for asking as it is an interesting question, the sort that factory documents fail to address as far as I know. 70SATMan asked a related question a while back.

Here is what a fellow 2,3L enthusiast in Germany has to say on the subject:

"Hello Tom, original the swaybar consoles on the ST 2.3 are the same like 2.2 S - untouched! Not boxed and not welded anything around, also on the front swaybar, all this modifications started with the 2.5 l, 1972.
    Also the rear bananas are original, modifications came also 72 and they are the same like on the 2.7 RS from 1973. If you want to race your car in club races etc. I would do the mods if not I would leave it original
    ."

No doubt many of the 2,3L cars were updated, perhaps out of necessity over the course of a few race seasons. As a note of interest, I am told that reinforced bananas are not legal for historic racing in Germany for the C and D series cars and that the mods put the car up a class to run with the 2,5L ST and the RSR.
    Last edited by Flunder; 01-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Early 911S Registry

ST rear center panel - lower mounting tabs and exhaust cutouts

Cornpanzer requested some detailed images of the:

- lower mounting tabs for the rear center panel on the bumpers and the panel itself
    - the contour of the exhaust cutouts and depth of flange on reverse side

These should provide answers to all your questions Dave but ask away if you have some more.
    Early 911S Registry