Page 71 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Another hot rod

Wonderful words Tom - what we need now is a video so we can all experience (albeit secondhand) the glorious sight & sound of the 'Olive Tart' ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I'm still waiting for the book
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Re: Road Test

Brilliant once again Tom. Puts me right in the car right along with you (almost ).
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Scope Creep Poster Child
    This is an oculus. Actually, this is the oculus.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Going back a few pages on this fantastic thread, Tom asked about the fire extinguisher in the 69 Monte Carlo winning car.

The extinguisher is made by a German company called, "Auto". Just purchased the same unit for my future build.

Name:  ST extinguisher.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  25.3 KB

A brief history.
    About de company... (information found on TOTAL Feuerschutz GmbH website)

History
    TOTAL Feuerschutz GmbH is recognized as a pioneer in the development for fire fighting techniques. After the foundation 1912 in Berlin, the German Imperial Patent Office patented the first "Quick Dry Extinguisher" of the TOTAL company. This extinguishing method revolutionized fire fighting and is considered to be the precursor of all today´s fire extinguisher.

The experience gained in the construction and use of portable extinguishers was utilized in the design of larger extinguishing systems. In 1923 TOTAL introduced the first powder truck. A revolutionary step at the time.

Additional innovative developments followed with the AIR FOAM extinguishing principle - introduced in the 1930´s. After the relocation from Berlin to Ladenburg in 1945, TOTAL introduced in the 1950´s the combined foam/powder system.

In the 1950´s TOTAL started a separate manufacturing division for vehicle components, as a result of continuous improvements in the quality of extinguishing powders and in mastering the equipment.

In 1998 TOTAL introduced the new generation of fire extinguisher with the ISOGARD, a combination of functional design and the most possible extinguishing efficiency.

Since February 2002 TOTAL belongs to the American exchange operating company Tyco International LTD.

Lest we forget humble beginnings.

Merry Christmas to All from Another Hot Rod
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Pretty heavy for this crowd!

Pantheon, Rome

Built by original owner 67AD....restored about 120 AD

Currently with "heavy patina"...still stunning.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Merry Christmas to you Tom...I miss the writing!

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Merry Christmas to you and the Olive Tart Tom
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Bras de Force

I first wrote about the 917 part selected by the race engineers to serve as the 911 strut brace for the C and D Series 911S competition cars back in post #277. It has been bothering me ever since.

What I did not point out at that time about the strut brace is that our parts reference guide for the project, the April '70 Competition Spares list, fails to mention any such part for the ST. And further, that I had failed to find a record of the relevant part number.

I recently discovered the reason for the omission in the April '70 Comp Spares List. The reason for its omission is a simple one. It is because the part was not homologated for use until some months later.

The FIA homologation of the part was made by amendment on Nov 15, 1970, which is well into MY 1971 and some seven months after the April '70 Comp Spares list was published. For chassis prepped prior to that date, its use represents an update rather than an as-built specification.

The first image attached to this post shows the relevant FIA document submitted by Porsche describing the part in French as a "bras de force" or strengthening arm and in German as a "Querstrebe." The second image is part of the same amendment and provides a Werkfoto of the bras de force in foto 2. Third image shows foto 2 in detail. The final image shows the project car.

There is actually quite a lot to look at in the foto 2 detail image. Note: twin fuel pumps; "big mouth" 62L ST gas tank; spare tire hold down in light color heavy cotton canvas; use of the panel in front of ventilation equipment; etc. The Werkfoto provides many answers for those seeking to present a proper looking ST fuel bay.

This question relating to the strut brace has been bothering me for a couple of years. I wondered when, if ever, the style of strut brace sourced from the 917 parts bin hit the parts book and how it came to be blessed by the scrutineers at tech inspection at race venues like LeMans, where the officious inspectors had a well earned reputation for being notoriously picky.

So, now it makes sense to me. The part was made legitimate for race use by a proper factory amendment to the original MY 1970 911S homologation #3025. This now is another mystery of the ST laid to rest, to my mind at least.
    Last edited by Flunder; 02-03-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165