Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: "Period Correct" Side Script and Decklid Decals

FS: "Period Correct" Side Script and Decklid Decals

Thanks to the resources on this board I have created a more "period correct" decal than what is currently available on the market. This script was generated from a well preserved original. The font from the early versions are extremely "blocky" as opposed to the current versions which are created from inaccurate sources or fonts. Other details include right angle corners, radius corners, kerning (spacing between letters), how the stripes fall in relation to the both the back of the door and the front of the door to the fender, etc. Material is 7yr Premium Grade.

See lengthy discussion that started it all:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=side+script

See swatches for available colors. Email me for a higher res version - bobt@werkcrew.com.

Not pictured but available are decklid scripts (911, 911T, 911E, 911L, 911R 912, 912R, 911ST).

Side script $90/pr.
    30" straight decklid script $28.
    33" straight decklid script $28.
    33" curved decklid script $28.
    Model decklid scripts $12.
    7/8" wide bumper stripes $40 for both front and back.
    1" wide bumper stripes $40 for both front and back.
    Shipping to the lower 48 will be $7. Int'l will be $22.50.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bob tilton; 06-06-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Saw this in person at SLO. They are they reall deal and look great!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Bob

I realise you have spent a lot of time on this project and it is well needed. Am I the only one however who thinks the side script on the white car is in the wrong position?
    I thought the lower border line passed ABOVE the rear torsion cover and there should be a slight overlap of the thick centre line onto the front of the door? I think this could actually happen if that sticker was positioned higher up the door.

Is there plenty of excess material at both ends to wrap round the fender lips front and rear?

The font looks spot on and the range of colours is great. Can you do a silver side script?

Well done on a brilliant project.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Mike,

Happy to answer your questions.

What white car? The above car is silver and it is my car. However, to answer your question, there is no correct placement. These got mounted every which way. Left right, up down. You could look at 3 different cars and see 3 different placements. I prefer the way they were mounted on the Rs and the R prototypes. I like that the center stripe bleeds into the front of the door jam and how it falls at the back of the door catching the very corner. Beautiful grids and spatial relationships (but then again I am artsy fartsy). I will say that I absolutely HATE HATE HATE seeing them mounted centered between the wheel wells and the lettering partially falls past the door and on to the body. See post #26 by Jens of the Yellow Proto:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=12304&page=2

I could do a silver metallic and shame on me for not listing it. I will update colors as requests come in and verify with sign shop on Wed.

Yes, plenty of material to extend into both wheels wells (approx 6-8 inches each way). However, I did design them so that they cannot be centered in between wheel wells.

EDIT: Thanks Kenik.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Bob

Thanks for that rapid response.

Sorry, silver car...either my monitor or eyes.

You are right, I did not do a long enough trawl of the photos showing many different positions. I was only going on the position on a car I used to own with side decals from new. I see now that nothing is 'correct'.

If I apply mine higher than yours I was just making sure there was enough length to reach from wheel arch to wheel arch. Of course the higher you go the longer it needs to be.

If you can do a silver I will take a pair. If this does not turn out to be cost effective I will take a pair of one of the grays. Let me know.

How are you looking for payment including shipping to the UK?

Thanks again
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Bob
    Just for reference this was my car. Now belongs to a good friend who loves it to bits. Thanks to Rich for allowing this photo to be used. Side decals from new.
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Bob,

You're decals look great. It's about time the correct font made its way to the marketplace.

I think it's important that the issue of placement isn't boiled down to 'there is no correct placement' or 'these got mounted every which way'. This isn't exactly true.

The factory placed these stripes differently for race cars (without rocker trim) vs. street cars (with rocker trim). It's very important when researching the differences to only look at period photos of unrestored cars. Referencing a photo of a repainted car doesn't do much good as the stickers were probably removed and reapplied during restoration.

I'll get the ball rolling by posting a few period factory photos of street cars with factory applied side stripes. Perhaps others out there have similar photos and can post them so we can get an idea of the differences in stripe placement between race and street cars over time.

1968 Christophorus Issue No. 75 p 44

Attachment 52195

1971 Christophorus Issue No. 96 p 46

Attachment 52196

1972 911 (from porsche.com)

Attachment 52194

1972 Porsche factory visit

Attachment 55908
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Great reference photos Carl. We could probably add another 5 pages to the side script discussion on placement alone. For ME, I am reminded of the discussion on the correct finish on fasteners for the decklid that really went no where...I'm sorry...was concluded that the factory was not consistent. Silver plated? Gold plated? Painted black bolts? In the end we get to make the final decision rather than chase our tails. I'd like to think we have a choice in the matter...unless people want to place them centered between the wheel wells.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Bravo! Can't wait to get my car back to sand beige and add in some black side scripts. Silly question but is it better to get a "fresh" set just before you need them or does it make zero difference? I won't need them until later next year but I love acquiring my resto parts and using them for inspiration.

Thanks.

All US orders should have been received by now. Hope you guys are pleased. I can start placing orders for the next batch.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com