Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage stopwatches and rally stuff

Heuer....

Could get out of hand:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    Jeff Stein whose website www.onthedash.com is the authority on these, especially Heuer watches and clocks. Refer to this previous thread if you want to find him or learn more...http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=18356
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Heuer ad

Thanks to Curt E for pointing me to Auto World catalogs... this is from 1972. Cool stuff
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

A basic offering ... over the years I tried to find bits that were nice but less expensive than what you frequently see ... I think I did alright.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Lovely design. I NEED one of these. NEED.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    Lovely design. I NEED one of these. NEED.
    I've gotta believe the watches are less lumpy under the covers than the steering wheels, no?

Is this stopwatch more collectible?

I came across this stopwatch for sale -- it is a Heuer from the late 60's/early 70's and it has a VERY interesting engraving on the side:

Garrard 59.JPG

Anybody care to venture an opinion on the collectability of this? Is it possible this was used by the Brumos race team?
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Jim... engraving or majik marker? Mighty interesting if it has any confirming provenence.

But then it would be much more likely to have been marked Brumos, wouldn't it?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Maybe not, Russ. I can imagine a scenario where this might be exactly what they needed to write on the watch and also would explain why it is in magic marker. I don't know enough about the history at the time, but it's possible that Brumos had several cars that travelled together doing practice days and races together. Maybe there were several stopwatches that were returned to a common case or cabinet, but they wanted to ensure the same one was used from session to session so that differences in accuracy between the various watches would be eliminated. Hence each watch was labelled with the cars' numbers, but not with the team name because that was unnecessary to identify the watch properly.

Of course, this is all just conjecture. I would love it if someone would actually be able to identify the marking . . .
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

So, with further research on the internet, I have come to believe this watch has nothing to do with racecars. I discovered another stopwatch that had Garrard 43 on the side of it! Both watches were recovered from estates in the United Kingdom and Garrard and Company (Brumos' sponsor) was located there. The watches were both TMU (Time Measurement Unit) which further argues against their use in automobile time trials. I assume that the watches were used in the engineering of products manufactured by Garrard and Company.