Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 rsr

Exclamation 73rsr

re. the history in starkeys book #756 is not a kremer car. i think you looked up the wrong number. his 73 results are correct but the 74 results are questionable due to Grey Egerton purchasing an IROC car. david mohlman 9 (owner of 9113600756)

David:

I think this is a beautiful 73 RSR and worth the money....I would buy it if I had it to spend as I love the color, and the 73 RSR is my all time favorite Porsche racing car.

Here is what Starkey's 3rd edition says:

911 360 0756 engine: 6930114 prod. no. 1034970
    First Owner: Kremer Brothers, Cologne

"Light Yellow Gearbox number 931024. Built 3/73. 2nd car del'd to Kremer Brothers. Competed at LeMans 1973 (race #45) where it came 8th overall driven by Keller/Schickentanz/Kremer. Competed and scored points in 1973 European G.T. Championship (April Nurburgring, 4th overall, Keller). Either this car or 911 360 0610 sold to Bolanos. Other car sold and competed in Belgian Championship in 1974. Sold to Lloyd Hawkins of Louisanna U.S.A."

To me, this is a great record and adds value to this car. Is it possible that this car came over to be raced at Sebring on 3/24/73, and then went back to Europe to compete (Nurburgring, April, LeMans, June) as the next race in the US where IMSA or Trans Am records show (that I could find) Far West Racing a Carrera is on July 28 at Road America where it finished 4th with Elliot Forbes-Robinson driving? For this to fit, the car would have to have been shipped back to the US after LeMans in June, 73. It appears from IMSA records the Laguna Seca victory by Far West Racing was on May 12, 1974.

This may be a far fetched story, but I am just trying to offer a way for the pieces to fit various records. And like I said earlier, maybe Starkey has edited the details since the 3rd edition was published in '98 .

I love this car!

Edit: I just looked up the LeMans Test event on 4/1/73 and it showed Kremer racing as having entered, but not raced 911 360 0756. It probably didn't make it back from the states in time after racing at Sebring.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I've seen this car in person. The restoration it WAY over the top. Fantastic.. I've known the seller for years and its the only way he does things.

rsr

Sorry, but the car is def. not a Kremer car. I have all of 4th Edition and the one that just came out R-GT2 and his info is somewhat correct but you must be looking up another number. #756 NEVER raced in Europe. I have owned this car four times and we all know the history and it was always an IMSA or SCCA car throughout its entire life. Thanks for the compliments and glad you enjoy it. I have been fortunate to own multiple RSR's and this is by far the best one I have ever owned. Lloyd Hawkins (rennsport porsche) and his crew did a fabulous job on the car and it shows in the details. thanks again and enjoy. Happy Holidays!!

David:

I did some more research, and Kremer's 73 LeMans RSR (#45) was a white car and the RSR Starkey references (911 360 0610) at the end of his comments about 0756 was a Grand Prix White car, so this is the car with the European record, not 0756. The Carrera RS book lists 0756 as having a country code of 113, which is West Germany, and Kremer had listed 0756 as an entry for the 4 hour LeMans Test in April, but didn't run the car. Maybe Kremer sold the car or didn't take possession originally, which supports David's data for it to be sent to the US. Starkey's summary for 0756 in the 3rd edition was incorrect, and probably should have been for 0610, and it was probably corrected in a later edition. Sorry for the confusion I caused for this beautiful RSR. Good luck with the sale, I wish I had the money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Rsr

Gib, as you know the historical backgrounds of these cars can be very confusing. #756 from what i know is totally correct in the last Starkey book for the 1973 season but not so sure about the 1974 era. Any info is welcome because the history of this car from 1974 and on, I believe, is the Grey Egerton 1974 IROC car converted to rsr specs. Hopefully one day the historical background of this car from 1974 and on will be discovered.
    Glad you enjoy the car. In fact Randy Leffingwell (author and photographer) was here today photographing the car for his next Porsche Race Car book. You are welcome to email me david@djmconsultants.net and I will forward you additional current photos that i had professionally taken recently. All the best and thanks again for your thoughts..

FS: @RM | Sotheby's - '73 Carrera RSR - 911-360 0756

Also referenced here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-RSR-Race-Cars
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RM | Sotheby's - The Porsche 70th Anniversary Sale 2018, Porsche Experience Center, Atlanta, GA, October 27, 2018
    1973 Porsche 2.8L 911 Carrera RSR Coupe
    VIN: 9113600756 / 911 360 0756
    Engine: -
    Trans: 7931024
    Color: Light Yellow/Black
    Mileage: 00816 km (indicated)
    Auction Estimate: US$2,400,000 - $2,800,000
    Sold for: NO SALE (Still for Sale)

73RSR 1.jpg

73RSR 2.jpg

73RSR 3.jpg

73RSR 4.jpg

73RSR 5.jpg

73RSR 6.jpg

73 RSR 7.jpg

73RSR 7.jpg

73RSR 8.jpg

73RSR 9.jpg

Auction Description:

- One of just 55 2.8-liter RSRs built for the 1973 season
    - 4th overall at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1973
    - 11th overall and 3rd in class at the 1973 Watkins Glen Six Hours
    - Race prepared and accompanied by current FIA HTP and copy of factory delivery note
    - Eligible for events such as the Le Mans Classic, Tour Auto, Modena Cento Ore, and Classic 24 Hour at Daytona
    - Includes comprehensive inspection report from marque expert Andrew Prill

One of just 55 RSRs constructed for the 1973 season, chassis no. 9113600756 was completed in February of that year and was immediately entered to the 12 Hours of Sebring in March by new owner Grey Egerton of Costa Mesa, California. Entered by Far West Racing, and with sponsorship from Pharr Yarns, Castrol, and Cibie, Egerton was partnered with SCCA and Trans Am rising star Elliot Forbes-Robinson, who had shown such promise at Le Mans in 1971 after qualifying his 911 S fastest of all the GT class Porsche cars.

In qualifying for Sebring, it was a Corvette sweep of the first three positions, with the Brumos RSR of Peter Gregg, Hurley Haywood, and Dave Helmick the fastest Porsche qualifier in 4th position. Egerton and Forbes-Robinson performed strongly, qualifying in 7th with a best lap time just over a second slower than the Brumos car – a valiant effort considering three-minute lap times. As expected, the pole-sitting Corvette of Tony de Lorenzo and Steve Durst led from the start, closely followed by the similar car of veterans Dave Heinz and Jerry Thompson. However, both cars would retire within three laps of each other, allowing the Brumos RSR to take the lead. Forbes-Robinson and Egerton did pose a marginal threat throughout the race, although at the finish they had been passed by the sister RSR of Milt Minter and Michael Keyser and the Corvette of Greenwood/Grable/Brockman, which salvaged a little GM pride. Nevertheless, 4th overall at the notoriously hard Floridian track represented an excellent inaugural outing for the team.

In July 1973, 0756 was entered for the Watkins Glen 6 Hours – then a round of the World Sportscar Championship. Unlike Sebring, the race featured a full complement of Works 3.0-liter sports prototypes, including three Ferrari 312 PBs, two Matra MS670Bs, and two Gulf-Mirage M6s, as well as a pair of ex-Works Group 5 RSRs from the Penske and Brumos teams. Pitched against the mildly renamed Pharr West Racing RSR in a strong Group 4 GT field were four Ferrari Daytona competition cars, seven Chevrolet Corvettes, and six other RSRs, including the highly rated Toad Hall Racing entry (with 2nd-place Sebring finishers Minter and Keyser driving) and a further Brumos car for Mexicans Hector Rebaque and Guillermo Rojas.

In qualifying, it was the Keyser/Minter Toad Hall RSR which took the class pole, with Egerton/Forbes-Robinson 5th in class – albeit within half a second of Al Holbert’s similar car in 4th. During the race, the sonorous Matra of Larousse/Pesarolo took overall race honors ahead of the two Ferraris of Ickx/Redman and Merzario/Pace, while in the GT class the Pharr West crew enjoyed another solid run to finish in 11th place overall and 3rd in class. Indeed, the pace of the class-winning Keyser/Minter RSR was such that the wilder specification Group 5 Brumos RSR of Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood only passed it in the closing stages to take 7th overall.

Egerton later sold the car to longtime Porsche expert Jim Cook, who continued to compete with it in the IMSA GT Championship for some years. As was the case with many 2.8 RSRs, 0756 was uprated to 1974 RSR 3.0 specification and was fitted with an ex-IROC RSR engine as well as the later-type RSR bodywork.

Following the conclusion of its contemporary racing career in 1979, 0756 was sold to George Eckert of New Orleans, who restored the car but does not appear to have raced it. In 1986, ownership passed to Lloyd Hawkins of Rennsport Racing, also of New Orleans, who returned the car to “as-delivered” 2.8-liter RSR specification, including the iconic “Carrera” script along its flanks. The car was used sparingly by Hawkins and was subsequently sold to Porsche broker David Mohlman, who again preferred to use the car for show purposes. After passing through the hands of two further U.S.-based owners, the RSR returned to Europe in 2013, and since then it has been used only on the road and for concours events, including the prestigious 2015 Salon Prive Concours d’Elegance at the Blenheim Palace.

Some three years ago, the car was comprehensively inspected by marque expert Andrew Prill of Prill Porsche Classics, and a written report of his findings is included in the car’s file. The report identified that the car retains is original chassis and production numbers, as well as the original VIN plate and all the strengthening features particular to RSRs. Furthermore, 0756 was found to be fitted with the correct specification RSR “high butterfly” engine and its original gearbox, as well as numerous other original RSR features, including the oil tank and oil system, gearbox oil cooler, brake calipers, pedal box, 110-liter fuel tank, trailing arms, and anti-roll bars.

Chassis no. 9113600756 remains a beautifully presented and historic example of this exceptionally rare and desirable 911 variant. Having recently benefited from more than €12,500 worth of work with marque experts Michael Kessels Sportwagen and Classica Automobile GmbH, the car is race prepared and ready for action in any number of the numerous events for which it is eligible. Arguably one of the last of the great “all-rounders,” this highly potent RSR offers a virtually automatic entry to the most prestigious concours events throughout the world, as well as a most exhilarating means of enthralling transportation.
    Last edited by DOUGS73E; 10-30-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added sold for price.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

The link for the auction is showing a rs prototype

Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

No sale - 911 360 0756

Too high of a reserve?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RM | Sotheby's - The Porsche 70th Anniversary Sale 2018, Porsche Experience Center, Atlanta, GA, October 27, 2018
    1973 Porsche 2.8L 911 Carrera RSR Coupe
    Auction Estimate: US$2,400,000 - $2,800,000
    Sold for: NO SALE (Still for Sale)

73 RSR 1.jpg
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548