Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a radio at LA Lit & Toy Show

voxboxer

Bought a radio at LA Lit & Toy Show

Hello, everyone. I went to my first LA Lit & Toy Show. Wow, what a great day. I bought a radio for my 1968 Porsche restoration. I was told it was correct for my year. I did a bit of online research before I bought it and It seemed correct. Now, I'm not so sure. I'd appreciate the opinion/advice of those of you who know more than I do about vintage Blaupunkt radios.

I attached some pics. It's a working Köln radio (7630 740 000 B Type). It came with white buttons, but the seller also gave me what he said were the correct buttons for my application - black knobs with chrome centers. Is this one of the correct radios for 1968? I paid $350. Thanks, Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's for a European delivery car - FM dial goes to 104 rather than 108 (which US radios do)

voxboxer
    Thanks for the quick reply. Was this radio an option for European '68s?

There may be some helpful information in this thread.
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-details/page4
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

The 0 in the 630 indicates this model (radio type) was first introduced in 1970 the B in the prefix of the serial number indicate when this particular instance of that model was made …that is generally how the product numbering systems works if the model (type) was produced in for more than one year. This model (type) was used 1970 until around 1973: so has B,C, D and maybe E prefix. Confusingly the Koln name ( like some other names) was used pretty consistently for decades. Koln often their top or high in the radio range above thd middle range quality like Frankfurt but spec and design evolved. Just like 911 same name but differences detail evolving every year if so .

Based on what is shown I believe your example was both in type and in its instance later than the Koln that would’ve been contemporary with the 68 911 at new.

B prefix is around 70-71.

Concur example shown is for European markets as the NA dual scale would’ve gone to 108.

While the one shown is probably made several years after 68 (and possibly incorrect region if car is NA) the Koln is top tier radio offers and can be enjoyed or traded for one that is more exactly contemporary Koln perhaps 7 638 700 with prefix around your cars year perhaps Y/ Z if being picky.

Your car is on cusp of when Blaupunkt dial graphics changed from the earlier slightly more fussy to the less busy version. Not exactly sure when the manufacturing year of Blaupunkt changed ( is it coincidentally around the Porsche changeover in sumner) or perhaps was staggered as unlike Porsche had so many radio models to develop and volumes would be higher. Blaupunkt was owned by Bosch.

I’d need to see the replacement knob a but not sure (doubt?) black with silver centre is correct for 911 even in 68. Silver centre in black was knob for BMW; black with silver ring more typical Merc. Generally it was plain black knobs for Porsche 911 although design for 911 evolved from taller narrower hard plastic to flatter much wider rubber knob in the longhood era hence need to see image of what is said by to be correct to give a view. I gave a large collection if auto-radio knobs tucked away. Probably again on cusp of change from taller plastic to flat rubber with a silver notched secondary behind originally but by time if the B prefix shown think flat wide rubber main knob.

Radios were often made just plain silver core to din standard thereby applicable to many marques and models then the supplier offered a separate installation kit to adapt cord to the marque model dash. Makes sense if think about Bosch Blaupunkt business model as tier 1 supplier to multiple OEM and aftermarket to have this delayed differentiation approach in manufacturing supply chain. Obvious as OEMs always changing dash architecture so obvious better to make core radio then to have many installation kits rather than ship fully configured radio which at whim of designer can become dead stock. Not always case as I have a bnib Becker with knobs but very obvious if view from operations perspective. I have period literature from Bosch Becker listing all installation kit numbers for marque and model. Also the Blaupunkt technical servicing and repair manuals for each radio model released in each year for example these three binders list and have extensive material for each radio released to market each year from Y (67/68) through to 71:
    Name:  IMG_4016.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  48.9 KB
    If aftermarket radio ie no radio on coa stating type factory fitted , then lot more latitude within the parameters of reasonably date appropriate.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-26-2024 at 02:11 AM.

voxboxer
    Very useful info. Thank you.

Blaupunkt Köln

Quote Originally Posted by voxboxer View Post
    . . . did a bit of online research before I bought it and It seemed correct. Now, I'm not so sure. I'd appreciate the opinion/advice . . .
    You might able to get Blaupunkt to give you that info --- from the s/n on the unit

Did anything else come with your radio? (I thought there was a power-converter of some kind that came with --- big heavy sucker, too)

Anyway, some other threads that might be useful . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post626373
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...date-code-help
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...+radio+install
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...9-WITH-MANUALS

And some sites . . .
    https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_search.cfm
    https://www.oldautoradio.com/classic...dios-for-sale/

(FYI --- the car I own also came with a Köln) . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post787652

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

The blue dot on the face screams "I'm from the 70s, not the 60s".

Jim

voxboxer
    Yes, my radio came with that separate heavy power unit connected at the rear.

911MRP - With regard to the other knobs provided, you can see one on top of the radio in the second pic.

I will check out all those links you provided. Thanks.

If I end up keeping this radio, will a blue dot radio look strange in a '68?

Those are not Porsche black silver knobs on top. By 68 maybe they should be flat smooth wide rubber knobs all black but being on cusp could perhaps still be the hard plastic ( somewhat similar to your white ones but all black).

To your last question hard to say as it’s a judgement. Your radio is probably only a couple of years later than 68 and is a top end radio just a so many wouldn’t know or think out of place — lot less “strange” than some! However Jim who probably has seen more 911 dashes than most folks comment above suggests some would expect to see the busier slightly earlier dial graphics of 60s style .

Name:  IMG_4032.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  59.8 KB

This is the New Yorker image from my period Blaupunkt brochure print date earlyish calendar 68 with close up of the dial of New Yorker model … the top of range for North America. While haven’t compared specs as the best the NA probably similar to the European Koln. Note it covers the frequency range to 108 used in North America and has the earlier “busier” dial graphics for the 60s look that i suspect Jim is referring to . Note North America used AM FM on buttons not European LMKU used even here in England. This brochure is generic Blaupunkt but is from address is for North America region — not Porsche specific. My following year’s North America Blaupunkt brochure still shows New Yorker with the older style busier graphics.

Has you car got a factory fitted radio model specified on papers like CoA — if so maybe match that radio model if you’re concerned to be period authentic — posting questions here suggests you are seeking to be contemporary to what it might have had at new ? Also was your car USA spec/delivery then as several mentioned a European koln will not have the full range to 108 so would be incorrect visually and unlikely to reach broadcasts above 104 range if you listen to them ?

I don’t typically buy and sell but expect you could flip or swap the radio and knobs and get something from around 68 if that is your preference

If you decide you wanting North America spec frequency and older graphic FMAM buttons take a look at New Yorker 7 638 750 with date appropriate series around Y or maybe Z … if can find one (or a lesser spec more common Frankfurt US model of similar vintage)?

However what you have is a top of range Blaupunkt model and might be close enough … only you will know if the details with it being probably 70 would irk — its not an exact science after all the radios and kits evolved as did the 911 dash. Also cars got replacements. If keep it then as minimum then perhaps don’t use either knobs as the white or silver will jump out as clearly not for Porsche more so than the blue spot slightly more modern 70 dial and European push buttons .

Your call, so up to you what you do with this foc input but it seems a nice radio either to keep and use or to trade.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-26-2024 at 02:09 AM.