Page 145 of 170 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1697

Thread: Porsche Automobilia

Quote Originally Posted by acoupe View Post
    My 82 Monterey collection. Drove my 58 Speedster there.....what a hoot! Entered my car in the "Street" class. Judge Jack Ogden found a crushed Bud can under my seat, and other Judge Bob Raucher said "looks like ya brought some of Nebraska with you", pointing to a chunk of mud inside my rear bumper.....oops!.....LOL! Maybe the best of all Porsche gatherings ever! I still have the event poster hangin on the shop wall.
    '82 Monterey ... quite an event! a number of firsts for me... first Holiday, first time on a track (in my first Porsche purchased 3 years prior), first time meeting my good buddy Bill Brown and first time sitting in a Speedster (his) checking to see if my 6'3" frame would fit with the top up. not really, but that didn't stop me Bill and a few others were holding down the fort at our "secured" parking facility waiting for the security company to show up.

a couple of trinkets I picked up along the way;

still full champagne bottle that would have been issued to a concours class winner. I was warned not to drink the stuff. a warning I have taken to heart

serigraph #12/37 signed by logo designer Llew Kinst and featured guest Otto Mathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan

i always love to read letters from mr hanstein and i am curious about that mentioned carrera
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    ...and i am curious about that mentioned carrera
    haul, it was one of our Porsches, a 63 Carrera Cabriolet.
    No. 157605, in silver metallic with blue leather. The top was ordered to be light grey, to match the paint, but it arrived in tan.

Name:  DSCN0367.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  DSCN6230.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  87.5 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Last edited by Jon B; 10-27-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added Hoffman PO photo

@Jon,
    spectacular...did it come with the ordered LSD?
    What a great car this must have been.
    could you follow up the owners up to now?

br
    haul
    Last edited by haul; 10-28-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

...did it come with the ordered LSD? ...could you follow up the owners up to now?
    haul, there was an extra charge for the LSD, so I assume that it was installed. Unfortunately there is no trace of the car today.
    I have many photos of this Carrera, but most are digitized from slides and the files are very large.

A few more letters from Porsche.

The Sept 63 letter from von Hanstein indicates that he just returned from the Frankfurt Auto Show, which is when the new 901 model was first shown.
    The bottom two letters are carbon copies that were noted and included with his Sept 63 letter.

Name:  DSCN1218.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1216.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1217.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  92.9 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

jon,

while on vacation at the french atantic coast in La Baule we stayed in a nice hotel in the typical old martime french style. One day I noticed, while looking down from the balcony, an eldery lady coming up to my slate gray 65 and stood there for a while admirring her. The next day, while i was doing my daily cleaning routine, she came up to me, asking about the car, how beautiful and how well I take care of the car. She softly touched the slate gray on the fender, told me, that this is her dream
    car and found it more than enjoyable. The third day we met again at the slate gray. I thought, well, but as my wife joined at that day my cleaning session, she ‚opened‘ her up, and there she told about her adventure at the 24 hours of Le Mans. She was a young Comtesse, being from an old french noble family, her father a former General of the french Army during the WWII, former officer of the french foreign army, commander of the fortress of Lille. She met Huschke von Hanstein, and she lucidly told about her driving behind the steering wheel with him as the Co driver in an early slate gray 911 down the Arnage, the Mulsane, one complete round at Le Mans race track. After her short stint, Huscke took out one of the Porsche printed silk scarfs, laid it around her neck, gently told her, she is not be the best race driver, but truly a wild and curageous woman, and kissed her god bye. She stayed during the days and must have had an exceptional time at the races. She reported further that Huschke continued to write letters to her family and that the contact stayed over the years. My wife and I happily listened to her story, she lived three houses further up the street. Again, the next morning, she showed up, telling, she would have a small present for me, and handed me over an envelope. I opened and in there was a small handwritten letter of her, warm lines of sympathie, and....the silk scarf huschke von hanstein gave to her, years back in time.

Of course I was blown away, hugged her and kissed her, she excused her for the scarf being unwashed, still the oily hands of huschke on it, she told me, the scarf is in the best hands she could imagine, to see my enthusiasm and my determination, she took my promise to take further care of my slate gray, her dream car.

We visited her the days to come, brought bouquets of flowers, stayed with her and her grandchildren......
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

von Hanstein

haul, this era was not very long after the war, and moving on from the hostilities was very important, especially for Porsche.
    von Hanstein was Porsche's public relations and racing manager for most of the 50s and 60s, and a central figure in those years.
    He was very much their ambassador of good will.

A photo from the 67 Le Mans, with Jo Siffert and Hans Herrmann in the class-winning 907, and racing manager von Hanstein with his Arriflex :-)

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

My Father

Some of the letters I've posted relate to the films that my father sent to Porsche.
    This is my father, with his Arriflex, at the US Grand Prix in 1961. Bonnier's Porsche 718/2, which finished 6th, is just behind.

Name:  DSCN9254.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  72.1 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

@jon

You are definitely right, the post war society, who had the horror just some years behind, did work intensivly in building good and mutual relationships.

are these films of your father, also the mentioned US Grand Prix still in your families possesion?
    you have true treasures in your archive....

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

jon,

while on vacation at the french atantic coast in La Baule we stayed in a nice hotel in the typical old martime french style. One day I noticed, while looking down from the balcony, an eldery lady coming up to my slate gray 65 and stood there for a while admirring her. The next day, while i was doing my daily cleaning routine, she came up to me, asking about the car, how beautiful and how well I take care of the car. She softly touched the slate gray on the fender, told me, that this is her dream
    car and found it more than enjoyable. The third day we met again at the slate gray. I thought, well, but as my wife joined at that day my cleaning session, she ‚opened‘ her up, and there she told about her adventure at the 24 hours of Le Mans. She was a young Comtesse, being from an old french noble family, her father a former General of the french Army during the WWII, former officer of the french foreign army, commander of the fortress of Lille. She met Huschke von Hanstein, and she lucidly told about her driving behind the steering wheel with him as the Co driver in an early slate gray 911 down the Arnage, the Mulsane, one complete round at Le Mans race track. After her short stint, Huscke took out one of the Porsche printed silk scarfs, laid it around her neck, gently told her, she is not be the best race driver, but truly a wild and curageous woman, and kissed her god bye. She stayed during the days and must have had an exceptional time at the races. She reported further that Huschke continued to write letters to her family and that the contact stayed over the years. My wife and I happily listened to her story, she lived three houses further up the street. Again, the next morning, she showed up, telling, she would have a small present for me, and handed me over an envelope. I opened and in there was a small handwritten letter of her, warm lines of sympathie, and....the silk scarf huschke von hanstein gave to her, years back in time.

Of course I was blown away, hugged her and kissed her, she excused her for the scarf being unwashed, still the oily hands of huschke on it, she told me, the scarf is in the best hands she could imagine, to see my enthusiasm and my determination, she took my promise to take further care of my slate gray, her dream car.

We visited her the days to come, brought bouquets of flowers, stayed with her and her grandchildren......
    Amazing story, thanks for sharing. And please, post some pictures of the scarf.