Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: hella 128 fog lights

hella 128

Does anyone know when the 2 rivets appeared on each side? Is this for H-1 only?

Hella 128 Reflectors

Hella 128 lamps came in four configurations:

White glass, yellow reflector (Osram) normal lamps, Europe.

White Glass, White reflector, (Osram) normal lamps, USA

White reflector for Halogen Lamps, NOT for USA

Yellow reflector for Halogen Lamps, NOT for USA

(No mention of the Yellow glass for other markets in the parts book up to 3/69).

Note the brass light baffle that is clipped in front of the Osram lamps, it is the half oval with arms. The light baffle for the halogen is part of the light socket.

The #644 part numbers were carryovers and the same lights used on the 356.

I have only seen the current production of the Hella lights having the Halogen lamp sockets.

The photo is of a 1964 911 lamp (A) and a recent Hella 128 (B). (The reflector on the 1964 light is rotted away and the make shift reflective surface is the silver foil from a pack of cigarettes).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Hi Claudius ,

I put a picture of my hella light and the drain triangle is in the housing and not in the lens frame of mine?
    Is this something different?

grtz egbert

Hi Egbert,

Your housing doesn't have the 2 rivests on each side. So in my opinion the housing is not original for Porsche Hella 128.
    The photo of Bobs type B light is a complete H1 Hella fog lamp with correct lens and has the 2 rivets on both sides.
    The reflector was either siver or yellow in all type of bulbs. The glasses were always clear.

As far as I know the H1 Hella fog lights were first available in 1966 or 1967 but not in 1964? The first 911 had the 356 fog lights which indicates the 644.XXX.XXX.XX numbers, which had the normal lamps.

In summery for me up to now all the 128 fog lights had the 2 rivets on both sides, there was either no drainage at all, or a slot or triange drain hole in the lens cover but no drain hole in the main housings.
    The H1 fog light was first availbale in 19?? ?

Any other evidences are greatly appreciated.

Claudius

PS:
    All reproductions have the normal lamps and the V type lens. I haven't seen a H1 reproduction up to now.

rivets

Many original Hella 128s had no rivets on sides. I have seen rivets on mostly Halogen. Non-V Halogens started in late 67.

Your housing doesn't have the 2 rivests on each side. So in my opinion the housing is not original for Porsche Hella 128.
    In summery for me up to now all the 128 fog lights had the 2 rivets on both sides, there was either no drainage at all, or a slot or triange drain hole in the lens cover but no drain hole in the main housings.
    I am w/ Rick, I several 128's w/o rivets on the side but at least one has a rivet in the rear of the housing. Most of mine came from 65-66/911s, I never had a later Porsche (the others came from 356).

Also does one of my housings have the drain hole in the main housing

Last. 66893 is the lens that was used for 356 and 65/66-911/912

Just my $.02

Richard

I am still looking for some period pictures where it is possible to identify the 128 with or without rivets...

I also checked my owners manuals from the model year 1968 and all German had the picture of the H1 Hella 128, only the US version had the normal standart lamps.

In the accressories bucklet W191, Juli66, Printed 11/66 there was no Hella H1 fog light available. Could someone check his later accessories book?

Claudius

TOP:Owners manual 911T W327, Ausgabe VII/67:H1 Hella 128
    Bottom:Owners manual 911S W316, Ausgabe VII/67: H1 Hella 128

TOP: Owners manual 911S, W316, Ausgabe I/68: H1 bulb Hella 128
    Bottom: Owners manual 911S, engl. Ed. IV/68: standard bulb Hella 128

In the accressories bucklet W191, Juli66, Printed 11/66 there was no Hella H1 fog light available. Standard bulbs with V type lens.
    Could someone check his later edition accessories book?

Thank you.

Hella 128 drain holes

(add a data point)

I took a look at the Hella 128 that came on the 1964 911,

No side rivets

Triangle drain hole in the lamp case

Normal lamps

Clear "V" lens
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370