Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: hella 128 fog lights

Yellow Lens 128's?

List of parts for the 1967 911S RALLY KITS:

#9288 Quartz-iodine foglights, yellow, for the 911S only (instead of standard fog lights)

#9289 Quartz-iodine foglights, white, for the 911S only (instead of standard fog lights)

#9291 Quartz-iodine foglights, yellow, for the 911 only

#9292 Quartz-iodine foglights, white, for the 911 only

Or were these the "through the grill" lights? Anyone have a photo?
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Adding my own photos to this excellent thread

Today I dug out my 128s expecting they would have to be rechromed due to pitting. You can imagine my surprise when with about 30 minutes with some Simichrome they came back to the condition you see here.

A few notes:

1) Mine are from a '66 made April 1, 1966- they are clearly the tungsten bulb type.

2) Yellow reflectors, clear lenses with the "V." One has the "66893" script which I believe to be original--the other I don't know about, the one that looks like it has oatmeal stuck to it (whatever that is).

3) Neat little rubber boot over the wire to keep moisture out.

4) Moisture vent an oblong slot in the bezel.

5) Wire is white with green stripe, red wire is incorrect. There appears to be some additional anti-chafe insulation on the wire inside the housing, that's the black stuff.

I think I am going to get a couple of repro lenses for street use and hit the original lens with Cerium Oxide for concours.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

More photos-- of course "oben" means "top" in German.

rivets

In my accessory brochure W12, Ausgabe November 1967, printed 10.67 (model year 1968) you can clearly see the 2 rivets on the side of the H1 Helle 128 fog light.
    I think it may have changed with the model year 1968 from non rivets to rivets??

Claudius

PS:

Maybe it would be the best to transfer this thread to the General Info Section as there are so many information collected together!

I have a pair of 128s with one rivet on each side and a rivet on the back, Tungsten bulb, only ones Ive seen like them.

Bob Fleming-- so shall I conclude that the yellow fogs are incorrect for my '66? I don't think yellow lenses are even today legal for fogs. That would be a bummer because the reflectors in my set are so nice but would allow the H3 upgrade somewhat invisibly.

A fun story-- I was going through a bunch of paper bags of stuff I got with the car that I didn't think had any value-- I found a boneyard 128 almost rusted through. . . with a PERFECT bezel-- and then noticed that one of the bezels on the set on the car had a crack by the screw in the usual spot. Some prior owner had the foresight to realize that and scrounge a replacement. I also found another original coil and a 2-66 dated washer pump. . . I take back some of the things I said about this car's prior owners!

John, Nice detaill pictures. I need to clean up the 128's on the 67S also.

Is that a Hazet 166N your 128's are resting on? If so they are the best tool caddy's by far. I have 2 unopened ones and they are not avail. any more.

Every Porsche garage needs one.

-
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

Steve, it is indeed-- great for bringing the tools to the car, and indispensible for the race track-- fold the arms down, power clean the thing over the tailgate and go! Good eye.

Does anyone know how the yellow color is achieved on the reflectors? Is it a type of chrome coating? I have a pair of 128 reflectors that need rechroming and would like to have the yellow coating applied.
    Thanks,
    Skip

yellow reflector

I think it is some kind of translucent yellow paint. I have a can of Krylon "Stained glass" yellow paint Im going to try on a clear reflector. My main concern is the effect of the heat.