Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: hella 128 fog lights

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    I think it is some kind of translucent yellow paint. I have a can of Krylon "Stained glass" yellow paint Im going to try on a clear reflector. My main concern is the effect of the heat.
    ....Or a tinted varnish of some sort. Not a separate plating, at least on the later lights. Course for now, 128s are a little early for me.... Maybe after my girls are through college.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who counts rivets.

sniff I love you guys.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I might have that housing....
    Byron Von Dwyer,

20+ Year PCA

Active Rennlist Member.
    http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/

Want to Start a Porsche Related Business??
    I'm getting burned out, see my blog for more info
    Byron me911bvd@aol.com
    http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...log&blogid=337

When wiring an early 128, does the negative side just ground out on the bumper via the mounting or is there a ground wire needed? Also....where can I buy a rubber boot for the top of the mount where the wire comes out?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rather than start another thread I thought I would revive this one as it already contains a lot of great info.

I have been obscessing about what details are correct for my '65 and have been collecting data -and a lot of "incorrect" lights for 301022.

I have around 10 datapoints for lights between 1957 & 67 so far.

The number of changes/options that occurred in this time is astounding - somewhere around 30!

I'm interested in all details but one I am interested in at the moment is when the "crown logo" lenses finished - likely some time before December 65.

Please if you have any original lamps and want to contribute to the database please PM or email me. Reference to a car or date codes on the back of the reflector to pin down when the changes occurred. I'll advise all of the info I'm looking for. Hopefully I can clarify and tie together a lot of whats already here. I'll then share photos and spreadsheet as best I can of when the changes occurred.

Just to whet the appetite:

Name:  20160920_151416.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  72.4 KB
    Original Hella Small "Enclosed" Logo Lense May '57

Name:  Coated unkown date 2x.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  115.6 KB
    Crown logo Lense: May '61

Name:  20160920_151345.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  61.8 KB
    Focal Length Lense May '65

Name:  s-l16002.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  100.1 KB
    Rectangle Lense Known Dates Dec '66 Feb '67

Name:  s-l1600[1].jpg
Views: 630
Size:  79.5 KB
    Bar Lense Nov '66

Then there is the current vesrsion available
    Last edited by Ivan Fuller; 11-03-2016 at 09:05 AM.
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

i have been going through my parts stash for my 1966 restoration.
    I came across a matching pair of fog lamp housings that need restoration (has triangle drain hole but no side rivets) , also i have a single fog lamp housing missing lens (has side rivets but no triangle drain hole), and a complete fog lamp with triangle drain hole but no side rivets.

Would any of these be "correct" for 1966 and are they worth restoring?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

128 Fog Lights

TCS,
    would you identify which of the eight lights are which.

Looking at smudges and dents item 1 3 5 appear to be different views of a common light. Are they pic's of the same light?

Item 2 and 6 also seem like different views of a same light.

Item 7 and 8 have the triangle on the mount side - so would drain down to the mount hardware (above bumper light) rather than a 911 (hang down light) - with it's drain opposite of the mounts.

All lights appear to have removable dents which can be rechromed. Not enough detail of the lens frame to see pot metal if it is corroded.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

TCS

I got busy around June & missed this.

What I know based on the references I have (note these are date codes on the lights so who knows how much time delay there was to the cars which opens up even more variation)

Triangle drain by mounting are not Porsche.

Housing should have back center rivet for pretty much all of 66.

November 66 the triangle drain went all together and there was a drain slot & notch for the Lense in the bezel.

Early 66 had focal length lenses and later 66 had the square rectangle lense (above the 66893). The change somewhere between Feb & July
    Name:  IMG_20170522_173417.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  104.4 KB

To restore the housings correctly is a bit of a pia. Drill out the rivets straighten & rechrome. Zinc/cad? plate the mounting hardware, procure correct Din 660 rivets and figure out how to press them. I'm just going through this now. IMHO worth it simply because they are right

The lense is the next challenge - looks like you have the focal length lense - one off and maybe not in that great a shape. You could argue either is correct. Trawling the net can sometimes find usually lamps where the lense is ok. Even if one had to put new repro lenses in the correct housings its a step in the right direction.
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Pretty Vette...love the redline tires...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hello,
    For the model year 1968, A-series beginning autumn 1967 the H1 foglights were introduced, not available in the USA. There were 2 versions one with the clear reflector, one with the yellow reflector, which was delivered wherever the yellow fog light was allowed like Italy, France and Germany.
    On the glasses of H1 Hella fog lights I found different raised markings.
    If you look from the front to the H1 glas all have the snake, K-8221 marking on the left side. On the left lower corner you either find 1-100 946, 2-100 946, 3-100 946 or 4-100 946.
    The 1-100 series sometimes have a capital letter A surrounded by a ring, sometimes not on the right lower corner.
    The 2-100, 3-100 and 4-100 series all have the capital A surrounded by the ring and additionally SF-S20 marking on the right side of the glas.

Here are the questions:
    1. What does the capital A surrounded by the ring and SF-S20 mean.
    2. Who knows which series where used in which time period?

The following picture is taken from the stainless steel SWB which is shown at the Deutsches Museum in Munich with the capital A and ring, right lower corner of the glas..

Any input greatly appreciated.
    Best regards
    Claudius

Name:  20221207_102437.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  92.9 KB
    Last edited by 68S_SK2; 12-09-2022 at 05:55 AM.

H1 glas series 1-100 946 without A surrounded by the ring and without SF-S20 marking
    Name:  20221209_154958.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  20221209_155016.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  65.8 KB