Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: value of a bastard?

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Thanks Peter. My original budget was 25K, but I couldn't find a decent car for that money. I got frustrated and convinced the wife that I needed to move the budget to 30K. Then I started seeing a few decent cars, but still they were few and far between. And of course every seller thinks his car is super nice.
    At higher than $30,000; you had better be motivated by love not profit. Even if you restore it flawlessly, the car will never be original again and we have seen that play out. It will not draw top pricing.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I can't stand a convertible so I'm not a good judge. But in my opinion the '73would be a better "hold" than the late car.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Karl, the gemini car (with a 2.2MFI engine) just arrived in my garage last week. :-) Nice looking car, not finished yet though. Marty is a good seller, car was exactly as described. (Thanks Marty!)
    Arjen
    early s registry #661
    r-gruppe # 604

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    At higher than $30,000; you had better be motivated by love not profit. Even if you restore it flawlessly, the car will never be original again and we have seen that play out. It will not draw top pricing.

I'm not so sure your hypothesis is correct. Tell that to Eade, after he bought Rick C's georgous 68' soft window COMPLETE restoration. I "get" the new-once, never been apart theory, but top $dollar on restoration happens all the time. Show me ( not literally) a RS that has not been taken apart and not worth $250K.

I would keep the '87 Cab. IMHO
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    I'm not so sure your hypothesis is correct. Tell that to Eade, after he bought Rick C's georgous 68' soft window COMPLETE restoration. I "get" the new-once, never been apart theory, but top $dollar on restoration happens all the time. Show me ( not literally) a RS that has not been taken apart and not worth $250K.

I hear you. To bring this car to that level of restoration costs and will have the new owner financially upside down.[Unless they are a professional, Rick C. or a welding dentist, read highly skilled DIY]. An example would be Eade's gemini 73E, a high end restoration, great options with 44,000 miles. He had $95,000 invested. Last asking I saw was $65,000. A steal!

This car, which I understand was well bought and is all there, is lacking the lineage [documentation etc...] to be a high dollar car even after restoration in the current marketplace. There recently have been two Ss restored to a high level of original detail neither recieved top dollars and I believe are still available.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=24112

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=24253

Yet Eade's original 67 slate grey coupe sold for $89,900 within three weeks.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Arjen,it was an absolute pleasure working with you.As you know I hadn't really planned on getting involved with shipping a car but after my experience with you I wouldn't hesitate any longer.Thanks again and please send pics when finished,Marty

Quote Originally Posted by bosman View Post
    Karl, the gemini car (with a 2.2MFI engine) just arrived in my garage last week. :-) Nice looking car, not finished yet though. Marty is a good seller, car was exactly as described. (Thanks Marty!)
    Arjen
    Arjen, good to hear that. Sounds like you have quite the stable now. Make sure you post pics when all is done, so we can see the finished version.

All the best,

Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown