Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the real RS Steering Wheel stand up

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Allen,

On the 914/4 wheels with the counter sunk area for the nut on the front. These wheels also have the beveled spline area on the back that helps aligning the wheel to the steeering shaft.

Anyway on these wheels the turnsignal canceller will sit proud even if you counter sink the holes that mount the canceller.

On the wheels that are interchangeable with the 901 series cars, if you look closely at the backs where the canceller is mounted the whole canceller is placed within a space that is not sitting proud. Meaning it is sitting in a recessed area and on a 914/4 which wasn't made for the application it sits on top of the hub and sticks out.

This is what can cause the slight rocking and can also be seen from looking at the mounted wheel from the sides.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

Scooter
    Thanks for this info Scooter. I think you told it before but I wanted to reconfirm.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    The first number you mention from pet is for the STD 400mm wheel

My car #197 has the 806 wheel still with plastic horn grille

I just bought a 380mm wheel like you describe hard plastic part number 809 10 restamped to 805 10 and covered with what looks like factory leather

Very strange
    Clyde,

You're right (I had 911 347 082 00) I made a typo and have corrected that line to 911 347 084 00. Same question though, is it stamped on any wheel? Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    Glenn,

Thanks for that link which I am familar with. I have two questions which I don' t think I've actually seen answered regarding he so-called 914-4 wheel, the one with the counter sunk hole on the front (facing driver side) for the nut that fastens the wheel to the column: 1. Does the fact that this nut is counter sunk have ANY bearing on mounting it to a early 911? and 2. If you modify the back side of the wheel to take the 911 cancel ring, does the wheel fit a 911 "perfectly?" That is will it rock or look weird if examined closely but an knowldegable person? In other words, if one taps the required hole on the back of a so-called 914-4 wheel, will it look just like a RS wheel when mounted?

Also, any comments on the grip thickness (differences) between various part number leather wheels? Thanks.

-Allen-
    What scooter said
    Glenn Stazak

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    Hi Brian,

Fun and interesting. Would you be so kind to measure the circumfrance of the RSR grip size (I am assuming it is as per original?) or maybe you know what it is. Ditto question for an original double wrapped RS wheel. BTW, ARE the RS wheels double wrapped, thicker than standard? The reason I ask is since, is maybe the difference between an 805 10 or 806 10 the thickness of the grip? Thanks!

-Allen-
    Allen,

The circumference of the 803.10 RSR wheel is 9 cm and the 805.10 is 7.6 cm.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Metric

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    Allen,

The circumference of the 803.10 RSR wheel is 9 cm and the 805.10 is 7.6 cm.
    Brian,

That would be about 3 5/8" and 3" for the 805.10. Is the 805 original wrapped as 3" seems thick if it is a standard wheel? It would be good to know what an original 806.10 is? Danke.

-Allen-

Just measured the circumference of the leather grip on both an 806.10 & an 805.11 - both have their original leather covering & both measure 7.6 cm
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Here's a shot which demonstrates the difference in rim thickness between an original RSR wheel & a std RS (806.10) leather wheel :
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    Just measured the circumference of the leather grip on both an 806.10 & an 805.11 - both have their original leather covering & both measure 7.6 cm

Thanks! So the 806.10, 805.10 and 805.11 are All 76mm or 3 inches. That surprised me and means the 914-6 (805.10) had a thick grip wheel too.

-Allen-

I wouldn't describe any of those (non-RSR) wheels as 'thick grip' ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    I wouldn't describe any of those (non-RSR) wheels as 'thick grip' ...
    Andy,

I agree with that. The wheels I have had done are about RSR dimensions and, even by today's standards, still feel good. For the RS, how about double wrapped then? I think the RS wheels at 7.6 cm, 3", were thicker, than standard 911 wheels? Thanks.

-Allen-