Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the real RS Steering Wheel stand up

Allen - I don't have a std 911 400mm leather wheel here but from memory I would say that they have the same thickness rim - anyone got one to hand they can measure ?
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Steering wheels

Andy,

OK, I just measured the original std 400 wheel from my 1970S (901 347 801 20) and an original nos 914 347 806 10. They both are 7.6cm.
    I think we are making progress!

Quote Originally Posted by LKreg View Post
    Andy,

OK, I just measured the original std 400 wheel from my 1970S (901 347 801 20) and an original nos 914 347 806 10. They both are 7.6cm.
    I think we are making progress!
    L,

Well, what do you know! So, an authentic RS wheel is not, even, doubled wrapped. Thanks.

-Allen-

Allen,

There is no such thing as a 'double wrapped wheel'. I think that term got started because once upon a time because we thought the original 914/6 GT and RSR wheels were double wrapped with leather. Jeff Smith debunked that myth by discected an original RSR wheel that was shown here by Dave in this photo.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Verly Intersting!

[QUOTE=fryardds;188470]Allen,

There is no such thing as a 'double wrapped wheel'. I think that term got started because once upon a time because we thought the original 914/6 GT and RSR wheels were double wrapped with leather. Jeff Smith debunked that myth by discected an original RSR wheel that was shown here by Dave in this photo.

Learning is what it is (mostly ) all about! See the following post I copied from something I had some time back. Tony said it was double wrapped and, in fact, it is somewhat thicker than a standard (and RS!) wheel. In any case, the thread may be close to complete (we will see?). This was what I thought:

This is a 380mm double wrapped wheel recently back from Tony at Autobahn who also painted it and did the very nice leather work. Part number 914 347 804 10, 4/70 date code appo. 3 3/8" or 85mm grip. Also includes pictured "batwing" hub. If you need a cancel ring, please add $75. $650 shipped in US, $675 outside US

I think I started with a hard rubber wheel, btw..that is what I sent to Tony.

Thanks!

-Allen-

Allen,
    When Tony does a thick-grip wheel (replica RSR) He uses two layers of leather - hence the "double-wrap" term. However, I don't believe that the factory ever did it this way.

One reason I say that is because as Brian mentioned above, I have seen a disected RSR wheel and it used felt and cotton padding.

Having seen that wheel, I started thinking about the manufacturing process and cost control. Leather is/was an expensive commodity. Why would a manufacturer unneccesarily use expensive leather as a filler material when any number of cheap substitutes (like felt) could be used.

With that being said, if my memory serves me correctly, there have been cardex's that have used the term "double wrapped" which is intriguing. Perhaps this is simply a misnomer due to translation from German. Also, I visited Dr. Konradshiem last year in Vienna and it was his opinion that there were two layers of leather in an RSR wheel, but he wouldnt indicate if he had ever dissected one...and I didnt feel I was in the position to push the point.

The problem here is that few people are willing to cut open thier RSR wheels for the sake of science. Brian has one...I will bring an Xacto knife next time I visit him and wait til he goes to the bathroom!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Getting back to the 914 wheels. The 911RS, 914/6 and 914/4 (71 and earlier) leather wrapped wheels are all the same aside from part #s and date stamps. It was only in '72 that the hub of the 914/4 wheel changed to the style with the cup in the hub beneath the nut.

So, find a leather early 914/4 wheel, remove the extention on the back side and voila' you have the exact same wheel as a 914/6 and an RS. Nobody will be the wiser as long as you keep the horn pad on it.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

The term 'double wrapped' could still apply to an RSR wheel - it's just that the first 'wrap' was felt rather than leather.

Also, if the owner of an RS wanted a thicker RSR type wheel it was a lot easier for an upholsterer to put another layer of leather over the top of the existing cover rather than removing it, glueing on a layer of felt, then cutting out & stitching the final covering over that.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

My experience coincides with the great info in this thread. There were no double leather wrap steering wheels from the factory.

You can easily replicate an RS wheel as Dave describes (find a 914 leather steering wheel and modify the hub). You can also replicate an RSR wheel (either double leather wrap a plastic 914 wheel, or add a leather wrap layer to a leather or foam 914 wheel). The horn can either be a wing or button.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Really great stuff you guys!
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey