Thread: What goes around...

Wink What goes around...

When I bought my '73S in '89 this issue of the Porsche PANDEMONIUM (PCA Orange Coast Region News Letter) came with the car's records. This January 1973 issue has a couple interesting pictures of the same car. This very cool car obviously ran out of Bill Yates Dealership and was modified by Al Martinez to look like an ST. The photos in this issue were taken in '72 and Martinez, Dan McLaughlin, and probably more, were already making some pretty nice ST fendered cars..... not sure if they were glass or steel..... but still pretty cool...

Also, it looks like those wheels are 8's front and rear..... wonder how hard they were to get in '72.....

... and so it goes

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck:

Neat pics! In my research I have learned that both FG and steel flares were available to get an ST look. Edmond Harris says that private teams like Kremer, Toad Hall, Strahle used the factory FG flares (also Kremer developed their own in both metal and FG), but metal flares were also available from the factory. Harvey Weidman (chime in here Harvey) has told me that he used to sell metal ST flares when he worked for a Porsche dealer in the 70s.

Paul Frere's 911 book tells us that some of the STs had FG front fenders, and we have seen pics of the "competition kits" the factory made available that included FG hoods, rear decks, flares, fenders, etc.

Here are some pics from the Edmond Harris web site (www.edmondharris.com) showing NOS FG ST flares he has for sale. Also, a shot of one of the "kits" available from Porsche. I agree with Hugh Hodges, we need a thread totally dedicated to ST history to document all we can about these very special cars, and how they were built/modified.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17