Thread: Logistics to sell disassembled project

Logistics to sell disassembled project

Happy Holidays all!

I have a fully disassembled ’68 that I plan to sell next year. After three years of selling and building a house during Covid and moving twice, I finally have 100% of the parts together in my garage.

From a logistics standpoint, how should I prepare the car? Currently the tub is on a home-built rolling body cart and small parts labeled and boxed. I had the ancient tires removed years ago to aid in aforementioned moving, so I would need to purchase tires to get her rolling on rubber. Should I reassemble to have a rolling car, or leave as is on the cart and load as much as possible in the car?

Thank you in advance.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

No info as to what’s been done to the body so far?? I’d leave it on the dolly and sell it that way. I wouldn’t spend the effort to try and reassemble.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks. The car was partially disassembled and stripped of paint by flap disk approximately 15 years ago. The project stalled in 2009 when the owner died. I purchased the project from his widow in 2015 and completed the disassembly before our move paused the project again.

Leaving it on the cart is the easiest for me. I could put the tranny and engine back in and load everything else inside. I was concerned a shipping company would have a problem with a bunch of boxes or pallets.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

Most companies won’t touch it. I have an independent shipper (owns his own truck and enclosed trailer) and will ship rollers and project cars. Mine came in pieces with the engine on a pallet, the trans wrapped in plastic and a half dozen large cardboard boxes. Once I stripped it down, he took it on a cart for chemical dip and e-coat. Reach out to me if you need his contact info. He’s a great guy but booked up a month or two out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

If you want top dollar you will need to have it rolling and nothing shipped outside the car. If you can't ship it on a major carrier, i.e. a big tractor trailer, you will limit who will buy it and thereby get less money. Or you will sell it over and over when people realize they can't get it shipped. I've bought cars before where I was the 3rd buyer, but the only one who could move it. The car pictured sold three times, the second buyer event sent wheels when the shipper said it wouldn't roll, except there was nothing to bolt said wheels to!
    And the reason everything has to be inside the car is because stuff comes up missing when it gets shipped. I sold a car once as a roller, had the engine and gearbox on a pallet. When the car arrived in Italy there was no engine or gearbox. Luckily I had pics of me dropping both off at the shipper, but the guy was pretty pissed.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    I've bought cars before where I was the 3rd buyer, but the only one who could move it.
    It helps to have Big John at your disposal!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    It helps to have Big John at your disposal!
    Except when he retires, a year ago. Had dinner with him recently, he's always down for a bucket of chicken!
    The smiles of two old friends are so very real!

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!