Page 60 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    I think that it probably has been adopted at later date to distinguish the track oriented cars but would be happy if someone could correct me by providing an official (internal) document from the period, rather than something recent, describing a car as an SR. I have a build sheet with a handwritten T put between the typed "911S" and "coupe" ion the FAHRZEUG-TYP space on the sheet but not anything more definitive that that
    It would be really interesting to see what the earliest official written reference to ST / SR is. I can't remember any period results calling competition 911s by any names other than "S" or "T". Anyone know different and have some evidence?
    Early 911S Registry #888

If not used in competition. Why would you write it on traffic documents?
    I do not think that I have made much difference between ST and SR at the factory level if not at the level of options as you said but ... record that? pff

Sorry for messing up the post I don't want to derive it!

If anyone is looking to get into the market a 911S S/T conversion is on the market. Raced Classic Le Mans.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...sche-911-25-st

Fully rebuilt 1970 911 2.2 S to 2.5 ST specs.

Same owner since 2000

940 kg / 260 hp

This car has raced twice Tour Auto and once Tour of Spain before rebuilt.

Rebuilt included :

- Body stripping and painting

- lightweight bodyparts (bumpers, hood, wings, doors, windows)

- full FIA safety equipment (seat, rollcage, harness, fire extinguisher, etc.)

- original Fuch wheels (8” front and 9” rear) and tires (Michelin TB5)

- 100 liter fuel tank (original)

- new brake pads and discs, rebuild calipers, double master cylindre adjustable pedal box

- new shock absorbers

- rebuilt gearbox with reinforced intermediate plate, limited slip differential, oil pump and oil cooling system in right front wing

- rebuilt engine with 2.0 aluminium machined and shuffle-pinning crankcase, Carillo con rods, Mahle pistons and cylinders, big valves, RSR camshafts, high butterfly, double ignition, big Bosch fuel injection pump, spaghetti RSR exhaust, etc.

Car delivered with race 2016 HTP based on 3025 FIA homologation documentation and french road registration.

More info and pictures upon request.

Last race : Le Mans Classic 2018 Porsche Classic Race.

Name:  Capture 911s ST Yellow.JPG
Views: 992
Size:  38.7 KBName:  Capture911S Yellow Engine.JPG
Views: 1002
Size:  85.0 KB
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

If it was registered, as the rally cars were, they would/should be registered simply as 911S. That is also what the homologation papers state they are and is also the official name of that model

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    If not used in competition. Why would you write it on traffic documents?
    I do not think that I have made much difference between ST and SR at the factory level if not at the level of options as you said but ... record that? pff

Sorry for messing up the post I don't want to derive it!
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

If it was registered, as the rally cars were, they would/should be registered simply as 911S. That is also what the homologation papers state they are and is also the official name of that model
    So ... There is no ST registered properly that has run in any event? If not m ST registered as S, and in the street? What papers did they use? When importing ... Why would you give the ST designation to a vehicle ... Less taxes?
    I'm still interested in knowing what you mean by "plastic" in the other 911.

No The official designation of the cars (including in the homologation papers that they race under) is 911S. So a properly registered "ST" would have been registered as a 911S. There were lots registered for the roads especially in 1969 to 1971 as ALL rally cars were required to be road registered. I know your car's papers has "ST" on them. However that would not have been the official designation from the factory or in a factory invoice (or other paperwork). I dont know why the person importing your car would have done that BUT I think that registration authorities all over the world often just write down what they are given regardless of what is correct and probably the customs / importing people also would have just accepted what they were told. but that does not change the fact that "ST" was never the official designation of the model.
    On the plastic I don't know what type of plastic it was. However official build papers for that car as well as the build papers for the 1970 Monte Carlo "ST's" both state "plastic" in the case of front fenders and bumper but say "fibre glass" for other parts. We know that the fuel tanks were made of plastic so it must have been a hard light plastic extruded part like the fuel tank. Porsche had a lot of experience with lightweight materials like that from the early / mid 1960's with the so called "plastic" prototype cars
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

No The official designation of the cars (including in the homologation papers that they race under) is 911S. So a properly registered "ST" would have been registered as a 911S. There were lots registered for the roads especially in 1969 to 1971 as ALL rally cars were required to be road registered. I know your car's papers has "ST" on them. However that would not have been the official designation from the factory or in a factory invoice (or other paperwork). I dont know why the person importing your car would have done that BUT I think that registration authorities all over the world often just write down what they are given regardless of what is correct and probably the customs / importing people also would have just accepted what they were told. but that does not change the fact that "ST" was never the official designation of the model.
    On the plastic I don't know what type of plastic it was. However official build papers for that car as well as the build papers for the 1970 Monte Carlo "ST's" both state "plastic" in the case of front fenders and bumper but say "fibre glass" for other parts. We know that the fuel tanks were made of plastic so it must have been a hard light plastic extruded part like the fuel tank. Porsche had a lot of experience with lightweight materials like that from the early / mid 1960's with the so called "plastic" prototype cars
    I also have the certificate of tires of porsche Spain commented on the VIN of the car apart from the papers but, that is not the point ... It is very interesting for me what you comment on plastic! Is there any more information on the forum? There were more cars like that?

Here is another Sunroof ST though not factory built.

1971 911S
    Name:  ST-metallic.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  39.6 KB
    911 1967S 308470
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Early S Reg #2699

Can anyone tell me when the 911 ST saw its last significant race win? Meaning when did they faze out of competition
    in the German series as well as any other major race series? I would guess 74 as the RSR would have been
    too dominate. That being said teams would have to pay a larger price tag to get into the new RSR which might have delayed
    things?
    Last edited by Fubawu; 08-23-2019 at 06:12 AM.
    911 1967S 308470
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Early S Reg #2699

Name:  ST-metallic.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  39.6 KB

from that picture, my attention is the front defense. Is it a preparation as I have been told that private owners were doing, were they buying little by little? Does anyone have a picture of that vehicle?