Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    I think i got up to 911 230 0841
    Glenn posted the details on 911 230 0921 earlier in the thread and also on 911 230 1195.

The next one on Raj's list that I have any details on is 911 230 0934

I have that as a Car in the USA/ Canada in 1973 with Heimrath Racing.

Here is a photo of it at Trans-Am Edmonton 19.8.1973 for Ludwig Heimrath but the first event I have it recorded as doing was in March 1973 at Trans-Am, Road Atlanta, for Heimrath Racing with Heimrath / Minter (maybe as car 74 as that seemed to be the number that team used that year)

It seems to have been sold to a Norm Ridgely for the 1974 season.

there is more information on racingsportscars.com
    Hugh,

Hereby two more pictures of this Ludwig Heimrath car taken at the Canadian Mosport track in 1973. As these picture are also from 1973 i suppose that we can be sure that it is the same car.

Thanks for the archive that you build up and are willing to share.

JD
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JD

fantastic photos. I have not seen colour ones of that car before.

I am fairly certain that it is the same car- the black and white photo has very similar characteristics
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

911 230 1687

this is the last 1972 car I have any detail on
    911 230 1687 was campaigned by George Stone / Silverstone Racing in the USA from 1972 to at least 1974. Drivers included George Stone, Bruce Jennings, & Mike Downs at races such as daytona a sebring

I dont know whether it was a factory built or customer buit car

2 photos of car #77 Daytona 1973 Silvers Racing Driven by: George Stone (USA)/Bruce Jennings (USA)/Mike Downs (USA)

1 photo Sebring 12 Hours 1973 Porsche 911 S no.76
    Silverstone Racing Team Driven by: George Stone (USA)/Mike Downs (USA)

I have lots more photos of what look like ST's from 1970 onwards
    however I cannot match them to chassis numbers

I undersatnd that only 80 to maybe 100 were produced in any year in any form - ie factory or cuustomer built

I hope that this thread will continue to bring more details to light

Who knows what the chassis number of the green Kremer car is - Gib?? did you see it?

I heard that it was 911 250 0335 but don't have any proof
    If so I think Gib has enough photos of that car to start a whole new thread!
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Hugh,
    PM send,
    JD

and one back to you JD
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Photos of Heimrath car

Just so's he can be credited-

Those two color photos of the orange Ludwig Heimrath car were taken by Don Markle, a very nice guy who has taken a lot more period Porsche photos from the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post

Who knows what the chassis number of the green Kremer car is - Gib?? did you see it?

I heard that it was 911 250 0335 but don't have any proof
    If so I think Gib has enough photos of that car to start a whole new thread!
    Hugh:

Edmond Harris posts that VIN (911 250 0335) on his web site for the Kremer car, which he owned for awhile and restored to a roller level before selling to a US buyer. I have sent an email to confirm that VIN, and also to get the Kremer sister yellow car VIN if possible, as well as details on the history of the cars.

The 250 0335 number would indicate that it was a European 'T' with carbs rather than an MFI engine like all 72s in the US and maybe other markets. We know that Kremer did much of the work on their competition cars with a lot of factory support. Edmond Harris confirmed that the car was used in competition through the end of the 74 season, but I don't know how it evolved in body work and features over time. I think it had a 2.8L and later a 3.0L engine sometime during its race career, along with the 9+11 Fuchs. (Pics attached as #54 at 73 Daytona with 9+11 Fuchs, but still with 2.5L engine according to race records)

There is a picture which shows the car in the Carrera RS book (p. 159)at the beginning of the Racing chapter, but I don't know which race this was. It appears to have the small lip extension on the front bumper that the factory added to 73 RSRs, which might indicate it had the center oil cooler, but maybe not.

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by John Starkey View Post
    Just so's he can be credited-

Those two color photos of the orange Ludwig Heimrath car were taken by Don Markle, a very nice guy who has taken a lot more period Porsche photos from the 1970s.
    Thank you, very much, John, for setting the record straight.
    I should have mentionned Don Markle's name, and should have thought about it before putting the pictures, un-referenced, on the board.
    Sorry about that, will not happen again
    JD

911 230 0495

Hugh,

I missed your posting a couple pages back on 911 230 0495. Here is an update on the progress of the car.

The paint was stipped off the car. Underneath was one layer of yellow paint on the roof and 2 to 3 layers on the remaining car. The car was not any other color except yellow prior to being painted white while in Vasek's possesion. As mentioned earlier there was at one time a 'carrera' script as on the RS/RSR on both sides.

There was an air deflector welded behind a front mounted 907 oil cooler (along with a '73 RSR bumper) but this was done at Vasek's, according to Carl Thompson. I have a photo (provided by Tom Linton) of the car at Vasek's shop wearing an ST front bumper.

There are holes around the outside of the engine compartment that became evident after the paint was removed, and appear to be rivot holes rather than screw holes, and held something that possibly covered the engine lid. Is there a picture of a yellow ST with something covering, or attached to, the engine lid? A rain shield, camera mount etc..

It would be helpful to know the chassis numbers of the Michael Keyser cars, including the camera car(s).

At this point we have no european competition history but will keep looking. It is my contention that the car was used by the factory and then sold off before being purchased by Vasek Polak. It was not updated continuously through the '70s and still appeared as an ST, with its original long stroke 2.5, when imported to the USA. It is in suprisingly good condition for a competition car and may have been used as a spare or second car, but that is speculation on my part.

I will post updates when I have them including pictures of the writing that Mark found after the paint was removed...the designation 'ST' on both doors and the chassis.

I'de like to thank Hugh, Raj, and all who contribute to this thread. Hopefully more genuine history of these cars can be uncovered.

Thanks again,

Matt

There is a great discussion with a lot of detailed pictures on the evolution of chassis strengthening modifications from ST's thru RSR's etc on another ST thread.

Gib correctly suggested that they should be posted here as well so this is the link

that thread also has posts on the use of a T or S as a base car for the ST here at post 34

and while I am on the quest of adding links to related areas on the board this is the link to the discussion on homologation papers and weight for ST's
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776