Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Hello

Hugh, I think you already know the car of foto: 1970 Nurburgring 31.5.70 entered Racing Team AAW (D)...
    And you wrote chassis 911 030 1014 - FIA paper: owner A Aarnio Wihuri Finland entered same competition...
    Gues: Same owner AAW = Antti Aarnio Wihuri= Racing Team AAW, I think it is same car (or same teams car, if Antti Aarnio Wihuri drove himself on that competition). Pauli Tovonen, Hans Laine, Leo Kinnunen and many other drivers drove by AAW racing cars. AAW was very close with factory many years. They took cars from factory to european competitions.
    Start list Nurburgring?

AAW had also fast green rally 911 -72? driven by Leo Kinnunen

And more: Giulio Pucci/Dieter Schmidt had same looking 911 nr 40 in TF -71?

hopo

Hi Hopo

I "think" it may be the same car. AAW certainly had lots of cars, 917's 917-10's 908's etc.

I did look at the entry list and there is no other obvious AAW entry for a 911S. It certainly would not have been Kremer, Haldi etc

They did have one for a 917 and a 908/02 entered though - neither started the race due to a very sad event.

The 908 originally was to be driven by Gijs van Lennep (NL) and Hans Laine (SF) did not start due to the fatal accident in practice (where Laine was killed) and the 917 originally to be driven by Pauli Toivonen (SF) and Sten Axelsson (S) was withdrawn, probably due to the 908's accident (although Toivonen then co-drove the ST #79 with Dieter Fröhlich )

however I have a couple of pictures of that car in the race and i cant make out the sunroof that should be on the car if it is 911 030 1014. Granted the angle to do so is poor so it might be there. I was really wanting to make certain if possible before allocating a chassis number to it on the board.

on the TF 1971 car #40 that was a red car entered by strahle (and wearing the famous WN V2 plates). Given that it was a strahle car i doubt very much if it had been a AAW car at a similar time.
    I will post a pic of it on the targa thread as it has a central oil cooler in the front spoiler in that 1971 race - the issue Raj has been debating on that thread.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Where are they now??

Larousse super lightweight-Roy Walzer, Goshen, Ct
    Monte Carlo Rally Car-Peter Hoffmann-Saarbrucken Germany

The yellow car shown (139) looks to me like it definitely raced at night; there appears to be a map light with a long flexible neck installed on the passenger side. As for a light next to the drivers headlight, I'm not so sure... my eye says that's a pull switch for the battery or fire system, though it's obviously not marked as such.
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

green 911

Hello Hugh
    Yes I saw now red car coloured. Diferent colour, only same painting style in hood.

Here is green one -72 and I think it is AAW car, used safety car now but I think it was also used competition use?

Look at beside driver side lamp...

hopo

HI Hopo

that is a very good call on the green car maybe being the AAW car

I have never been able to identify it but you may be correct

Hi raj

the thing next to the light is definitely a battery / electrical cutoff
    here is a close up

Brad

the lights are because it was a rallye car (for tour de france) and the light was needed for the navigator to read the pace notes on the night stages
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

How would a light that small on the fender be beneficial? What type of light was it?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    the last 1970 car I have on my list 911 030 1127 the famous ultralightweight ST for Larrousse in the 1970 Tour de France

911 030 1127
    registered S U 9370
    Werks built special lightweight 2.4ST
    reputed weight 789kg versus homologation weight 840kg
    most famous for 1970 Tour de France: Larrousse/Gelin; 2nd.

current existence unknown
    Hugh, do you know if the 1971 TdF 911 #132 entered for Jurgen Barth and Jose Dolhem in the same livery could be the same car? It seems unlikely as the registration plate is 4833 QC 91 and appears to be a French plate.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Hi Jim

It is definitely NOT the same car - and its existence and colour scheme have been a source of confusion for some time

the 71 car was owned by Meznarie and built by him - supposedly from the ST 911 030 0949.

there is some history further up this post on that car

HOWEVER
    there is still conjecture and debate today whether this was really built from 0949 - a factory rally car- or was built up on a spare shell or on another car.
    To further complicated this, as the post shows above, there are currently 2 cars that claim to be 0949.

this is one of the murkier areas of the history of these cars
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Raj

according to Frere
    the 85 x66 2247cc cars were 911/22
    the 87.5 x 66 2380 cc cars were 911/21 and
    the 86.7 x 70.4 2494 cars were 911 / 70

he has all of those as 1970 "racing" engines

however elsewhere he also says the following:

1970 911S-2.2 "rallye" 2195cc 84x66 9.8cr 180hp rallye version of 2.2 - so probably same type number as a "S" with rallye mods like the rallye kit 1 and 2. Used for rallies incl Monte, Swedish, Austrian, RAC etc - so probably most or all the cars on the list shown as factory rally cars - at least while they were being used for that purpose.

1970 911S 2.3 2247 85 x 66 10.3CR 240BHP - circuit racing version. 1mm larger bore twin electric fuel pumps. this must be 911/22

1970 911S 2.4 "proto" 2395cc 85x 70.4 10.3 CR 260BHP special build for the 1970 TdF car twin webbers transistor ignition. I don't think I have seen an engine type number for this.

I am not sure if I have the information needed to put engine number sequences against race engine type numbers - I think it is available but I am not sure if I have it here in any form, at least on a comprehensive basis.

I will have a look though and post later if I can find anything. someone else may have it to hand.

I don't have many of the engine numbers of these cars on my database and i suspect that most, if not all, of the serious teams would pick and chose from a stable of 3 or 4 engines for a car at any one time. Therefore, apart from the info about the engine the car left the factory with, it may not relate to how they were raced.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776