Page 66 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

I'm not convinced Gib. Why would the fender be in that colour. ? No fuel flap. Steel headlight bowls and turn signal boxes could be bonded in like they are today.

Paint preparation....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

We can see that is the bodywork shop with the Celette etc. No fender or door on the other side, so they wouldn't be painting anything in that area. Just my opinion.

If you look at the small details of those brackets, they can only be steel. Unfortunately, my large file of this pic is on my old computer, but I looked at this in great detail when I got the pics from Keyser. They are definitely steel fenders.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Here is a pic from Keyser's book showing the Lemans race after he had hit a guard rail. The right fender crunched in could only be steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Here is an ST with GRP front fenders. This headlight would only survive if it was in steel buckets. The factory GRP front fenders came without headlight buckets as in this factory ST picture.

Name:  Larrousse 71 Fiber Glass fenders bumper.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  Christophorus ST article.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  24.5 KB

There is a pic on this thread of that car with the right front fender crunched much like the Toad Hall car...except you can see how it is all cracked away, not like metal damage. Look closely at the pic I posted...it's not just the headlight bucket that was dented in...the steel fender held the impact where a FG unit would just crack and not bend in and stay deformed like the pic.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I think we will agree to Disagree Gib. White fender in the panel shop, not the paint prep shop. ST article in Porsche's own mag showing no headlight buckets. These cars would often swap out panels, tanks, even seats from race to race.

I an not disputing that the fender on the car in the race is steel. Picture this scenario. Mr Keyser goes to the factory to inspect his build, say's" i don't want GRP fenders but steel " Possible right. 50 years ago.... I don't even remember what i had for supper two Tuesday's ago.

Didn't Keyser run two ST's one was factory built and the other was an S converted to ST spec? I believe he also used it as a Camera car in Speed Merchants.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

GRP Front Quarters on S/Ts . . .

. . . another poste . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post946777