S AK 1337

Monte Carlo rallye 21st-28th January 1972 - car #15
    Björn Waldegård/Lars Helmer DNF accident/suspension

1972 Swedish rally 16th-20th February 1972
    car #4 Björn Waldegård/Lars Helmer 2nd

20th Acropolis Rally 25th-29th May 1972
    car #3 Björn Waldegård/Fergus Sager DNF

Practice / recce for the 1972 TdC say October, maybe late Sept 1972

Photos used in a part of 1973 RSR group 4 homologation papers (central oil cooler, probably fuel tank photo) October 1972

current existence now in south africa and restored: see thread

it is interesting that this car seems to have had a more active life than its sister car in 1972. I wonder if there is history to be uncovered on the sister car?

Photos
    Monte carlo rallye (x2)
    Swedish rallye
    Acropolis Rally
    practice TdC
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

911 230 0495

911 230 0495

here is one that at least a couple of people on this board will be able to provide a lot more detail on than I can.

however to keep the cars roughly in sequence I will re-post some of the things said about this car in posts on this board last year. Maybe Matt or Mark can add some extra information or earlier photos if they have been lucky enough to find some.

From Matt Blast's posts last year:
    "A restoration has begun by Mark Allin on a '72 2.5 ST chassis no. 911 230 0495. Engine no. 6622021. We are trying to find any period pictures or information on this car that might help with the restoration. Here is what I know so far.

According to a letter from Rolf Sprenger the car was sold to a European "competition customer" and was "not a rallye car but a competition car". According to a letter from Jurgen Barth the vehicle was "delivered to be used by the factory in April 1972 as a 2.5 litre 911 S in racing version with the following original production data:"

Engine no. 662 2021
    color: Light yellow
    Interior: Black leatherette
    Optional Equipment: M491 Racing specifications

The car was brought over from Europe and purchased by Vasek Polak in the late 70's. According to Carl Thompson the ST was bought along with another car (a 917) but Carl was not able to tell me the sellers name from Europe.

While in the US the car was driven once in a vintage race by Danny Ongais at Palm Springs. Vasek had planned to run the car in the Carrera Panamericana but Vasek's ill health prevented this.

During Vasek's ownership the ST's color changed from light yellow to white. Also added to the car was a '73RSR front bumper, 907 front oil cooler, a repro ducktail.

There is evidence of an RS/RSR Carrera script on the sides when the car was yellow. We haven't stripped the paint yet so I don't have any more body details or potential clues.

A fellow Board member discovered that it may have been owned by Zasada at some point. It does have some rally modification that were most likely done when the car was sold by Porsche. However the car's condition indicates that it may have been a practice car or a second car. It wasn't trashed, crashed hard or heavily modified like most rally cars of the day. It still has the original engine case.

So I guess there might be pictures of a yellow ST with Carrera graphics (or without) in the early '70s somewhere. Any photos or history would be helpful, even US pictures with Mr. Ongais behind the wheel."

Matt: Do you have any updates?
    Maybe this thread can act as a catalyst to help dig up some more pics of the car in its early years and fill in some of the gaps.

Photos
    as posted by Matt
    letters (x2)
    pics of the car in Vasek guise (taken by Jens) (x2)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

911 230 0769 became 911 360 0001.

911 230 0769
    another Board members car

Raj you should posting this one You have already generously posted lots of information on the board about it.
    Here are the highlights. (from John Starkey's work which provided the best summary- thanks John)

Factory Built Rallye ST for Zasada

Type: 911 534. (2.5 litre S/T)
    Production number: 102 3900.
    Engine number: 632 1213.(note normal S engine like many rally cars)
    Gearbox number: 325 418.
    Colour: Tangerine (2323).
    Interior: Leatherette/Black needle felt carpet.
    M424: 90 litre fuel tank.
    M471: Competition kit.
    M474: Bilstein competition dampers.
    Delivered from factory: 1/2/1972 to Sports Department to be built up as a Group 4 2.5 S/T.
    Gearbox with magnesium case, # 915R/50 installed.

May: Delivered to Poland to Sobieslaw Zasada, ex-Porsche factory rally driver.

Registered 77-07-KW.

June: Europa Rally. #1: Zasada/R. Zyszkowski; result unknown.
    23-26/6: Bulgarian Rally: #1; Zasada/R. Zyszkowski; 1st.

13-15/7: Polish rally. #3. Accident with Sobieslaw Zasada on last stage, whilst leading.

Sent back to factory for repairs plus conversion to RS 2.7 lightweight spec. (M471) and renumbered as 911 360 0001.

Used as a test car by the factory.

1973:
    20/12: Taken over by the Press and Sport Division.

1974:
    15/2: Sold to Stanley Palmer, G.A.S. Palmer Ltd; Island Farm Avenue, West Molesey Trading Estate, England for £6,200.00, with engine and gearbox separately.

1975: Sold to David Agnew.
    February: Galway Rally. Agnew/Harkness; #15; 2nd.
    Easter Circuit of Ireland: Agnew/Harkness; #9; result unknown.
    June: Donegal International Rally: #14; Agnew/Harkness; 2nd.

1976:
    Feb 6-8: Galway International: Agnew/Harkness; 4th.
    March: Omagh "Pre-Circuit" Rally: Agnew/Harkness, #8; 1st.
    Easter: Circuit of Ireland: Agnew/Harkness; #12 DNF.
    June: Donegal International: Agnew/Harkness; #12; 4th.

1977: Sold to Sean Campbell. Had 2.8 Rally engine fitted.
    Feb: Galway International: Sean Campbell/?; DNF. (Minor fire.)
    March: West Cork: Campbell/?; DNF. (Fuel pump blockage.)
    April: Circuit of Ireland: Sean Campbell/?; DNF (Broken Drive flange.)
    May: Longford Rally: Sean Campbell/?; 1st.
    June: Donegal: Sean Campbell/? #7’ 2nd.
    July: Ulster Rally: Sean Campbell/? #9; 6th.
    Sept: Castrol Wexford: Sean Campbell/? 2nd.
    Oct: Mourne Forest Rally: Sean Campbell/ Sammy Hammill, #1; 1st.

1978:
    Sept: Castrol Wexford: Sean Campbell; 2nd.

8th November: Sold to Autofarm.

1988: Sold to Chester Wedgewood.
    1990: Restored back to 911S/T specification.
    2002: Sold to the Blackhawk Collection.
    2005: Sold to present owner.

Raj has posted so many pictures, including of documentation, it is hard to choose which ones to post
    Given this is the ST thread - not the RS prototype thread - all the pictures except the last one, and one from it's UK rally period, are from that stage of the cars life.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

911 230 0841 became 911 360 0002

911 230 0841
    another one subject to a lot of threads on this board
    can only be described as a factory race car and test car while an ST

originally a ST, used by the factory as the basis of RSR development in early 1972 culminating as running under Strahle's name but as a factory car in July 1972 Osterreichring 1000Kms.

Used in that race, and private testing the following day overseen by engineer Singer, to test various things including ABS and 2 separate tails see here

Reported as "scrapped" on 25 August 1972 but in reality turned into RS/ RSR 911 360 0002.

Seems to be assigned to press department for at least a period of time until at least March 1973.

seems to be in some photos for FIA group 4 homologation papers still in "Strahle" livery (probably taken in September / October 1972)

Used in early photo RS sessions as the red RSR looking car with white roundels and then apparently turned into "Martini" press car to use for the announcement of Martini sponsorship in March 1973 and used in other publicity shots - see photo of "Martini car" also known as "press car in snow" taken Feb 1973 at the Porsche test track.

At Targa 1973 as T-car 107 and 108 with registration LEO ZA 60 (not sure how long had that registration - maybe for whole life in Press department)

Eventually used as race car 107 at targa due to crash of R8, the intended car #107. Placed 6th OA with Günter Steckkönig / Giulio Pucci.

After targa almost certainly the wind tunnel car in June 1973 testing the Mary Stuart tail before Le Mans that year

no record after that - current existence / whereabouts unknown

Photos
    "strahle" car #5 at Osterreichring
    one of the experimental tails on "Strahle" car
    as RS 0002 in RS publicity photos
    "press car"
    as targa florio car 107
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post

P.S Hugh the FIA 1971 regulation if i read it correctly said one could not have a total of six lights which is usually what you see.Zasada's car has 8 lights and the location was changed between the europa and bulgarian rally.Did they exempt this for certain races?

I don't know about the FIA regs BUT here in Australia the number and positioning of lights on rally cars was dictated by the local licensing laws as the cars had to be road registered.

I remember 'just" getting My Lancia thru registration after lots of arguments with eight lights (about 700watts in total) (two additional Cibie Super Oscar spots and two additional Cibie wide beam floods wired off the battery on one side and directly off the alternator on the other with lots of relays ) despite the four "normal" lights across the front because I had them wired so no more that 6 could be on at one time (they were wired so when the big lights came on the low beam went off ) That was in the jurisdiction that a lot of rally cars were registered (Canberra) as I happened to live there at the time. I believe that there was no way I could have registered the car, (or driven the car legally) in other states at the time. I think the maximum of 6 front lights is still a rule where I am currently.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Hugh

Found it looks like the car at the targa in 1972-here it is nurburgring may 1972.

Raj
    Hi Raj

That picture you have posted is not from the Nurburgring 1000km in May 1972. It is from the 300 km race Nürburgring 3 April 1972.

The number on the strahle car is not easy to read BUT I can read the one on the Kremer car - 105

however in that May 1000km race, car #105 was a BMW200ti entered by Hegels (D) and Kremer and Fitz were in car 55

I have 2 photos of what MAY be that car in that race. I got one from Jim Calzia and the other i lifted of a video after a suggestion from Jim

I am not certain of either but I don't know where else Strahle ran with #70 without going through all the race reports of that time.

Note this is not the car at the Targa and in my records there is no mention of an accident.

I do not know but looking at the 2 photos and knowing that Strahle ran with the trademark bonnet and seeing the front spoiler on the car that is not smashed up does not fit the wider guards I would surmise that there was an accident in practice (see results in photo) the car was fixed enough to run the race - albeit with non fitting front spoiler and new front bonnet.

I do have a photo of the Kremer car in that race (attached) and also one of the Strahle #131 car (which went on to do the targa) and the Kremer #105 car from the 300Km race in April - also attached

finally there is a new picture of the strahle car at the targa - from the rear
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

is it S AK 1336 ie 911 230 0041

Here you go Raj

I had been thinking that as well but had not spotted the padlock

two things to notice
    1 the stickers covering where 4 sets of rallye lights would be
    2 the creases in the RHS guard just above the horn grills - i think it supports my theory that this is post the accident on the other picture with possibly the stock factory bonnet back on to replace the Strahle one that got bent

I had always wondered where S AK 1336 had gotten to in 1972 after the Monte as the sister car was busy with the Swedish rallye and the Acropolis.

Maybe they were busy testing out / building a RSR track car with Strahle based on the Monte car in addition to the #5 car we have been posting about?????
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

the only other photo i have are the front end crashed that are posted above

I am on the lookout for them though
    I think the car is 911 230 0041 as at that time the sister car was doing the acropolis rallye

just what engine, and other modifications they had I don't know.
    there is no indication in the race results I have
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Which photo

I got the one of the whole car from Jim Calzia
    I dont know the source - Jim are you out there

I believe it is period AND after the accident damage and probably during the race (you can see residual damage on the RHS in the blow up photo with the white bonnet)

I lifted the accident photo at about 5 and a half minutes into the RUF video that I got the #5 photos off here
    that is definitely period
    The bonnet but nothing else was strahle yellow with the logo
    the rest of the car looks like the monte ST for larrousse, even down to the blackout on the chrome bits of the headlights lights and the padlock
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Targa Florio 1971

This thread is really interesting.
    I would like to contribute with a few photos of STs from the 1971 Targa Florio. I cannot ID them, but maybe it's of interest over here.

Ennio Bonomelli - Christine Beckers DNF due to broken oil line
    Attachment 57291
    Attachment 57292

Cheneviere - Keller 4th OA & 1st GT
    Attachment 57293

Schmidt - Pucci (Strähle) 6th OA

Attachment 57294

Greub - Garant 8th OA

Attachment 57295

Hope it helps,

Andrea