Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rust E?

My hat's off to you Andrew! You have a ton of work ahead of you. Just take your time and soon enough it'll all be behind you.

I always thought that Stoddards had the best replacement parts available considering they sell OEM. Maybe their body parts are sourced from a different vender?

Keep us posted Andrew
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

If you get this project done within 6 months, you will be the "iron man" of Porsche restoration!

Paint it green again, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoy72 View Post
    I may have to take my time and just buy another Porsche....
    Good idea, it worked out for me....eventually.

BTW, Green is good.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Thanks for all of the kind words.

Mike M. your car was stunning too at RA; I had no idea you started with a project similar to mine. My E will come back meaner and greener...but not as wide as your car. I really want to put in a TRE CS2 Roll Bar, you know, add some treats for all of the hard work…

Tim, I am also of that opinion so I hope to place an order for metal with them at the end of the week; I will try to keep everything updated.

Mike, I may be able to do it. I don't have all of the life commitments that you guys may have, just a 44 Hour work week with only about 10-12 additional hours commuting. We will see; The other Porsche that I wanted to get this weekend is gone now but a nice 964 would be a good Alt. DD after "they" fix the roads in Melrose Park.

Photos of today's progress, all I have to say... if you have Factory PVC undercoating check for cracks...chip it away and find the cancer behind it.

Both fenders off and then front bumper off with the help of another Mike you all may meet this year (You should call him Soft-E Mike... ).

I only have one horn; doubled wires into the one horn and some bare wires? Ideas…

Is this a standard evap. tank?
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 02-07-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Factory undercoating, White-ish PVC

A small tack weld holding the driver’s side front fender on but none on the passenger’s side…?

“S” trim removed, there are marks that show the smaller ¾ trim installed previously.

White/green primer on the very edge and back side of the fender? Factory?

Just a little work…

There is red on everything in the front trunk; I feel some heavy solvents are in order.

I knew that my front bumper had holes in it for a long Euro style plate; But now I see that it actually had some clips/speed nuts on the bumper some how…
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 02-07-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

I love these things. It makes me feel organized.
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 02-07-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

Dude, it all depends on how far you want to take it, but at this point, I sure would be tempted to just take the whole car apart and get it blasted and primed, then build from there, meaning, make it perfect. It's either that, or you draw the line on how far you want to take it and just build up from there. Meaning, stop disassembling at some point and just fix the necessities and put it back together. A slippery slope and a tough decision for sure.

Holy crap Andrew, you have dived into the "mayaswells" head first! Do you guys here that loud wooshing sound? That is Andrew going down that slippery slope at mach 2. Daunting task Andrew and if you ever need a hand with something, do not hesitate to give me a call. Hard to say when to stop as you get in there so far that it just makes sense to do a bare metal respray. Then you are into a full out resto at that point. Good luck and paint her green again.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Rust E?

Andrew, that plastic plug on the inner fender panel, next to the filler nozzle, and the incorrect vapor cannister in the fender all point to that being a Euro market car. Now that you've determined it had Euro plates in front that pretty well nails it. Of course that would explain the severe rusting problems.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

bike

That Schwinn is looking like better transportation for this year
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)