Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rust E?

Thats not a Schwinn it is a fender stand... I guess, I would like some fun transport for the warm season. A 964 Cab would be a good filler. There is a nice blue one up North for sale but it is a Tip .

Thanks for the support; I swear you guys may know me better than I thought. I am sure that I will be eating my words (date -wise) at this point and will owe Mike F. a beer.

Also, can you guys try to talk me out of a CS2 Roll bar from a safety standpoint? I like the look, function, harness use, etc. The split for my use of the car at most would be 30/70 Track/ Street.

Ed,
    Thanks the whole evap. system is completely disheveled. I think that when my car was brought over it was thrown together with the right equipment. Tim sent me the correct bracket a while back that holds the evap canister in the trunk but I could not find the correct spot to mount it. The parts I have don’t match the PET but then I looked at the Pdf. Title “USA KATALOG”; so I went to the GB site and looked at that PET Pdf. It is odd as it looks as though the hoses just exit the front of the car!?

I am thinking I will order a set of plates “S-AK 0705”…

I had some energy after work and made some more progress. Some pics and comments….

Pan work? Both Battery boxes are perfect and the pan is solid? HOW THE….look at the tack welds.

My hazards stopped working for some unknown reason about a year ago…

I was removing the vents and I was close…I had to peek.

Petrified on the dash lower knee pad right where the production number is; it must be a German joke (I am thinking of leaving it for the next restoration). I bet that guy has a lot of fillings now.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 02-07-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

One Stoddard patch panel to the guy who chews the gum....

Andrew, taking it down to bare metal? I say keep going. You'll find little bits of rust everywhere.

Also, I think you need to open up the outer rocker and get a good look at the inner rocker.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Mike,

The gum can be yours only if you replace it with a comparable piece.

Bill,

Yep the whole thing... I will open the driver's side rocker but would you think I should do the passenger side as well. There are no signs of rust there thus far.

I think the limitations on the full re-do may be in two parts.

1) Body/Trim, Int., Engine/Trans

2) Suspension

I have already tweaked the suspension to a decent state and with the relatively low miles I can't justify the full re-do.

Speaking of projects, Bill how is the Yeller beast doing?

Stay Tuned....
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoy72 View Post

Why do you think he bought another early 911.

BTW, I also toyed with the idea of getting a 964, but with all wheel drive and snow tires for some fun in the snow around here. For some reason my wife didn't see that as a worthwhile expenditure.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Ahh man, very cool project. As for the stoddard parts I had some and they required alot of work to fit right. I wound up purchasing some factory parts and used a factory door striker plate, fender support panel.

I used stoddard inner rockers and outer rockers, the inners just need some trimming , 1 of my outers fit perfect and the other required a lot of hammering and fitting to get the curve correct.

Once you get into it a bit, you will find you need to replace some of your door seal channel I was able to build the channel using a simple Harbor Freight stretcher and bender because those parts just aren't available. It can be done I dealt with the same amount of rust as your car and my 72 is getting painted in 2 weeks! Finally light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck and keep us posted, If you need some tips and or some phone support let me know. I had it when I was doing my project and now done I would be happy to return the favor.

Jon W.
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoy72 View Post
    Bill,
    Yep the whole thing... I will open the driver's side rocker but would you think I should do the passenger side as well. There are no signs of rust there thus far.

Brian's right. That's part of the reason I got the '68. I've been plagued with back issues on and off for the last several years...trips to the hospital by EMS, etc. Makes any serious body work difficult due to twisting, stretching, etc. I'm hoping to be "back" at by spring/summer.

Re: passenger rocker, I would make that call when all of the paint and u/c has been removed in the area--especially at the seam between the striker panel and rocker. With a repaint, you may find the PO hid some rust there like I did with my car. If all is clear, then I'd leave it. Once you cut up a few cars, you realize rust is everywhere. For example, cutting up a door hinge post will reveal rust lurking inside. Really the only way to arrest rust is to have the car dipped. I still may dip my '72 when the time comes. But, then you have to worry about the fiber heater silencers. And, on it goes...

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I have no doubt you will do a great job.
    Bill G.

Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating

Just a note I saw your comment about your passenger side. I had the exact same issue.

I was so happy that my passenger outer rock just has some surface rrust on it. However Just to be sure I opened up a section of it, and low and behold my inner rocker was severly rusted almost worse than the drivers side. So I removed my entire outer rocker and found more rust under the rocker and below the door hinge post, the entire bottom of the hinge post was rotten. ANd it went on from there. On my visual rust free passenger side, I wound up replacing :

Outer Rocker
    Inner Rocker
    Lower Door Hinge post
    Inner Firewall to foot well,
    Front portion of the floor pan
    and a few other bits.

All in all I am very glad I opened it up to take a look.

Jon W.
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

...and a good "real world" reference point from Jon. Better safe than sorry.
    Bill G.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

project

Nice project Andrew!
    The car is definitely a European delivery; yellow thread in the seat belts, typical tail light housing, white in the middle, no mirror reflector. May be I have a spare, I'll let you know. Curious to see if the RH side tail light has the same hole issue, normally they do since dirt get easily trapped behind the oiltank.
    The weld on the fender to body is a sign that this fender has never been removed before, as per factory. You don't see that very often.

Rgds, Cees