Thread: Chrome to Powder Coat

Chrome to Powder Coat

Hi Guys,

I have a set of chromed steel wheels that I had stripped by a chrome shop and then powder coated silver. The wheels came out with a yellow tint in the silver powder coating. Looks like varnish. The powder coater is going to strip them again and redo the wheels.

Any idea what would cause this problem? Maybe the copper base coat from the chrome? Should the wheels be baked to release contaminents left over from the chrome?

Thanks,

Brad

Wrong color?

Paint pigments usually don't mix with the base material unless it's a translucent paint.

With regular car finishes, paint layers can bleed through if the materials aren't chemically compatible (e.g. lacquer vs. enamel). A sealer is then applied pn top of one in order to separate the mismatched chemicals.

Sherwood

Hi Sherwood,

Thanks for the reply.

The wheels are going back to the painted steel wheel look. They are silver powder coat with a powder coat clear on top. I am not sure if they shoot both colors then bake or if it is a two step process.

The yellow tint does look like that of an old clear coat that is yellowing.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad,
    I'm not that up on the intricacies of powder coating, but the powder, having been electrically changed (+ and _) with the base metal respectively, melts at high temperature and fuses onto the metal.

In other words, can a second layer of powder (clear) be applied on top of a previously applied coating of powder? The reason why I ask is that typical enamel and lacquer clear coats, when sprayed, typically turn yellowish and maybe that's what you're experiencing. Check with your vendor.

Sherwood