Thread: Any slot racers here?

Gburner

Any slot racers here?

Let's see some of your cars.
    In San Diego we race $40 ready to run 1/24 4.5 inch Nascars with $6 40 hour replacement motors.
    Check out the promo.
    http://www.slotcar2009.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any of you slot car guys familiar with this? It's a Dynamometer for HO, 1:32, 1:24 slot cars. It works. Looks 60's/70's vintage. What's it worth?

Gburner
    Hey Curt,
    Here is what one owner of the same dyno said...

It is already a collectible, altho maybe not in the shape you show that one....

This was the "famous" K&F dyno from the mid-60s, sold at $29.95 at the time, which put it out of the reach of most individuals, and especially us teenagers. I think they were targeting raceways and/or clubs at the time.

I picked up one a couple of years ago, for about $200 (which seems to be the average price they sell for, but depends on condition, original box, etc.), and I use it regularly. I doubt if the FPS speed indicator is very accurate, but it does give a relative reading, and also indicates amps, although my power supply does that too.

It's really a very low-tech gizmo, as I found out when I opened it: a motor connected to the roller, a couple of swiches and components and that's all folks! I assume they more or less calibrated it at the time, so maybe it was roughly accurate at one point.

It's more of a toy than a serious tool, but still fun and useful.

They do make some motor dynos that can be helpful.
    Some spec motor racers use the dyno to find the pick of the litter.

After 2 years I off'd the 8 lane track to a hobby shop in Florida.
    Here is the 8x20 4 lane replacement.
    Just getting it dialed in but a field of IROC 917/30s and a few race buddies should help kill a few cold ones.

That's perfect. Thanks Mike. I had never heard of such a thing but it's really cool. My brother and I were into HO cars way back. We built a dragstrip from one end of the basement to the other. Then we figured out that if you re-wound the armatures with heavier wire, the cars would go faster. I eventually carried that to the extreme and had a car that rocketed off the line and went up in flames halfway down the strip. My dad wasn't entirely thrilled with the smell of burned plastic thru-out the house.

I bought a HO set for my Christmas present last year. I've had a lot of fun racing with guys that come over for a beer.

Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Nice layout...

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
    I bought a HO set for my Christmas present last year. I've had a lot of fun racing with guys that come over for a beer.

Now THAT'S a track design...
    Looks like a fun layout...how is it working out? Is that all Aurora stuff?

Cheers
    R/Thom

I recently dug out my 1/32 and 1/24 slot cars from 20 years ago, a Parma womp with a bug body and a Parma flexi. Now that my oldest is 6 it's something we can enjoy together.

I just snagged this on ebay for $15...should be fun!

917.jpg

917-2.jpg
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe