Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muffler block off plate on bumper?

If I were to make one of these caps, I would first check whether the black vinyl / rubber material used to seal the torsion bar caps at the rear wheel openings might not be the best solution .....if the "ring" is long enough for the exhaust notch, and if the part is still available. Both details appear to be a similar application.

Incidentally my PDF Parts file calls the circular "gasket" for the torsion bar cap a DESK PAD....????

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Guys,
    Sorry to rain on the parade. This is just my personal opinion. I think this block off plate is really hooky. To my knowledge most real early 911 race cars never ran a plate like this. (maybe a couple had them but it certainly wasn't the norm.) Real racing is all about performance...especially back in the early days. Not appearance. I raced an early 911 from the late 1970's to 2003, and I never saw one of these block off plates on other 911 race cars. This block off plate is all about appearance...something for the street...not the race track. If your plan is to clean up the appearance of an early 911 with a Sport muffler then install one of these. If your plan is to look like an early 911 racer then forget it. My 2 cents. (See pic below. Early 911 race car...no block off plate.)

R.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is America and we are entitled to our opinions and...sometimes health care. Rich I would take advantage of your health care and get a new prescription for your glasses then ck the pic again.
    Also a good time to mention that my car is a STREET car which is why it has carpets and real glass windows and two seats and a cup holder and sun visors and...
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

From an appearance standpoint, I like it best when filled in.

Just my $0.02
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

For the record, I should mention Rich and I are friends and often exchange ideas in person and emails. Right Rich? Rich? Buddy? Oh don't walk away mad.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Bob and I do frequently exchange ideas in an ongoing attempt to do what hasn't been done before. But Bob...cup holders? I still vote for either an open exhaust hole or a f/g rear bumper with no hole as shown by ENDO 911RS in the picture of his car above. I think the open exhaust hole looks more functional and less fussy than a patch filling in the hole...to me it's a rougher, purer look. However, I think an f/g rear bumper with now hole is the cleanest look, especially with body color painted short bumper guards. But this is America and you can do anything you want. So for you guys that want something different, see the two pictures below for another option. No need to fill any holes. Bob, don't stay up too late tonight making rear bumper changes to your car.
    R.

Put me down for one if anyone can figure out who has or makes these. If I find that out, I will post it.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But Bob...cup holders?
    R.
    I need a cup holder for my can of whoop-ass. Your point is well made and valid. Plus I didn't even take into consideration the added weight penalty of a block off plate.

John (denson), please stay on point as the purpose of starting this thread was to seek the opinions from fellow members on the appearance and function of the muffler block off plate. See original question copied below.

"Who makes these? Where can they be purchased? TIA!"
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

I'm bored. Let me look around a little. How hard could it be? I mean I straightened a stainless very-rare fender with my bare hands, greasy ball peen hammer and you cannot see the "pop nots" and "divots" anymore.

Tom

PS: I know a great metal beater but if I could get into Jay's (Leno) Garage who knows what could happen?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Yes, I know this thread has been around for a while, but I just found it, so let's not start with the "old thread alert" BS. For those of you who employ aftermarket exhaust systems and don't like the empty hole look, here's a solution as to a place to install a bright LED third brake light: