Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory Original Chassis Werks Car Modification

Factory Original Chassis Werks Car Modification

Original post....
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    I will take a stab.This is a R car-guess the car.

Raj
    question , why did they leave the louvres in for the heater ? surely it never had a heater?
    and the lines of welds signify what exactly to the chassis changes
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

A few pictures - not from a 911R or ST but a factory 73 RS rally car.

The car is extensively strengthened, if it's of interest I will photograph other areas.

Barrie

Curious .... what's the bracketry going on in the engine compartment above the hood shock mount in the first picture, Barrie? I don't recall ever seeing that?

Looks like a seatbelt mounting point on the package tray .....
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Barrie:

Do you know if this car used coil springs? It appears to have the larger diameter and modified shock cones.

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

They did enter the East African Safari Rally though - in 1973 and 1974, here's a picture of the 1974 Works Team arriving in Nairobi, it's the car on the right.

I will try and post more information this evening ( UK time )

Barrie

Marco, you are correct, this is what it looks like from the top, I believe these were standard fittings on all 73 RS (??)

Some more details, this car ran the Safari in '73,'74 and '75 then came to the UK and did two seasons of rallying before I bought it in 1978 so I'm 99% sure that all the mods are factory done.

More to follow, this could go on for quite a while, although I've owned it for 30 years this is the first time I've documented it in detail.

Barrie

The holes in the bulkhead are for the oil lines to the front coolers, the vertical hole is for a rod which attaches to the trailing arm and restricts the amount of droop on a jump.

The plate bracket is an attachment point forn the full length Dural underguard.
    The three small threaded holes are for a mesh guard in front of the oil tank.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzerm View Post

The holes in the bulkhead are for the oil lines to the front coolers, the vertical hole is for a rod which attaches to the trailing arm and restricts the amount of droop on a jump.
    Barrie

those are fantastic photos
    cant wait to see more

this is the same area on RS 0285 - the #41 Edgar Herrmann/Hans Schuller car from 1974 - S AR 7909, when being restored at power-line

a link gallery of restoration photos is below

http://www.power-line-restauration.d...600285&site=pl
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks for the link Hugh, I have seen those pictures before but it was interesting to revisit them.

Gib - as far as I know only torsion bars were used with Bilstein shocks.

Some more pictures, the car is not very accessible at the moment so I can't easily get to some areas.