Thread: Karman

Unhappy Karman

Hi All,
    For those who have Karman bodies, or loved the Karman Ghia or Beetle convertible, I just got the sad news that this reknow factory and famous for their convertible tops and some very unique prototypes closed their doors forever to this date.
    Another victim of the harsh times.
    In memorian Karman,Germany.
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com

A sad day. More to come I'm afraid.
    Richard
    70T 3.2 Max Moritz GP White
    74 BMW 2002tii Inca
    54 Ford F100 Two Tone

Karmann

Hi All, after digging and reading the situation is a bit different.Karmann is closing the car manufacturing and letting go of the majority of her employees. Production cars like the VW's, BMW, Ford,Kia and Mercedes versions that they built over the years will be history and not anymore a department of Karmann.They try to keep a small workforce 1150 people employed and will try with a tranfer company to realize a 2 structur new comapany with developing convertible tops and automobil developmentand prototype realization.
    Sorry of the premature RIP. My apologize. Long live Karmann.
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com

Stefan is right. I can see the chimney of the paint shop from where I live and it is still iluminated at night...
    Karmann is struggling because all of their customers who ordered complete cars are struggeling themself and need to cancel orders and don't extend runing orders or building the cars themself to use to capacity as far as possible. Edscha, one of Karmanns competitiors for roof systems is already insolvent.
    I had the change to see the Karmann museum once privately and the special basement as well where they keep many other interesting cars and prototypes no one usually gets to see. May be they need to sell some of the stuff like Chrysler needed to...
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)