Thread: Question about RS on ebay

Question about RS on ebay

This is in no way meant to be a jab, I am genuinely asking these questions. There is a white RS on ebay right now that seems odd in terms of its ID plates. The door plate seems to have had the corners clipped off where the rivets go. The from ID plate looks like it is affixed with pop rivets. Are these things normal? Am I missing something? Like I said, I'm NOT trying to question the car, but these are things I'd be wondering if I were thinking of shelling out $200k+ for it. Thanks, Matt

Here's a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...QQcmdZViewItem
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Carrera RS

At the very least you have a seller that is unfamiliar with the car, so that alone means that extra care should be taken. The dead give away is using the casting number as the "engine" number. Also need to see the serial number in the trunk and the hidden number on the lower dash. The majority of these cars are now known and documented, including the ones with stories.
    Would be interesting to know more about it.
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny

Yeah, looks like the previous time it was repainted someone just cut the corners off the paint tag instead of removing the 4 corner rivets that hold it on. It would have much better to just mask it off rather than butcher it.

The paint code (908) is correct for the car as is the # '8' in the middle. Most RS paint tags I have seen were painted in location '8' instead of the usual '9' for the other production models from '73.

The front AL tag looks correct although the photo is not very good. This car should have engine # 6630861 if someone wants to call the dealer and get the correct serial # off the case.

When I did a search for the VIN a link came up referencing a previous Coys auction no sale of the this car back in '98. The curious thing is the description of the car incorrectly lists the same casting # instead of the serial #. Coincidence or not, I wonder.

http://www.motorbase.com/auctionlot/by-id/315754565/
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Interesting info Brian. I still think the front plate looks like it was pop-riveted rather than bucked on. I can see the little metal stick from the pop-rivet still sitting in the center of the rivet. They weren't pop-riveted at the factory were they?
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Matt,

Check out this thread on Pelican, specifically my post #293. This shows many original AL VIN tags and the rivets that hold them on.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...&pagenumber=15
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299