Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Color Blue?

What Color Blue?

Do you know what color blue this 908 is? I show it as Ossi Blue but it seems a little brighter than Ossi Blue. (Maybe it's because it's in a brightly lit display.) Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like Mexico Blue to me
    Richard
    70T 3.2 Max Moritz GP White
    74 BMW 2002tii Inca
    54 Ford F100 Two Tone

Richard,

looking at the photo in your post I'm compelled to say it's Mexico Blue. Please see the attached photo of a car known for sure to be Mex. Blue - allowing for the difference in lighting ( one indoors under artificial, the other outdoors in bright sunlight)....they certainly seem very similar.

I think Gulf and Pastel blue are out, due to what appear as obvious color differences ( to my eyes at least ), and as you observed, Ossi is more muted and slightly darker.

What else is there in that general tone of Porsche blues ?

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I would say it's Pastel Blue....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I would tend to agree with Chuck, as Mexico Blue was not around yet when this car was first painted by the factory...but Pastel Blue was a standard color. It has been repainted, obiously, so it could be near either one, as they are close colors and repaints are usually not an exact match to the original factoy color. I think the key is in our minds...we think about the color that was around when they were racing, and how they looked in pics...and that's the color it is.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Glacier and French Blue

It looks like Mexico Blue but I'm no expert. I've seen Mexico Blue but I'll be hanged if I can tell the difference from my house.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Here is a mexico/ pastel blue colour comparison, the car being pastel blue. Photo courtesy of Nick Moss.
    John
    1970 911T
    2.4E-915
    Early 911S Registry #1198

Thanks for your ideas on the color and pictures. After reading the posts and looking at the pictures I'm inclined to think it's either Pastel Blue or French Blue. (I'd never heard of "French Blue" before, but now two different people have described this color as French Blue.) Tom's Monte Carlo Rally car looks pretty close (French Blue) and both Chuck and John describe the color as Pastel Blue. Also, several, including Gib, point out that it is probably not Mexico Blue. But...I'm still looking for more opinions and a definitive answer. It's for a SWB racer project I'm doing that was originally Ossi Blue. I was planning on a color change but after looking hard at the Blues I'm considering staying in the blue family but brightening it up a bit.
    Thx.
    R.

I was at the Technoclassica, and in my opinion the car color looked less intense than in the photo, something in between of Mexico blue and Pastel blue .

French blue I think comes as it was the traditional racing color for French Racing cars, a similar concept as British Racing Green.

Very nice color one of my favourites.

Counting the days for the next Technoclassica!

Cheers. Arturo
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E
    95´993
    02´986S

A Glacier Blue 71E I used to own
    Attachment 60056
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200