Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: German market 1970S predated 73RS concept ?

The weight stated for the LW road 911 S is 930 kg on the back of the white 2.2 brochure.

HTH
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Thanks; was 911T still lighter in 1970, as it was in earlier years?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Beeing published in april 1970 I beleive the car was definitly on the market and not just a pre-production run ?
    As noted, the '70 lightweight was available through the racing department but was not a typical production series run 911 - that's why the brochure photo was replaced.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

This Service Bulletin seemed relevant to this thread. Didn't see it referenced earlier...

Name:  1970 - Service Bulletin - 2.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  92.5 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Like you, I have only seen that feature, i.e. the capped off inside end of the rear bumpers on the above brochure

I am also wondering how the central license plate panel is fastened to the car, since the bumper brackets normally used to hold panel & bumper guards have been filled in and smoothed over.

Sure would like to see how that arrangement works.
    Remember that it was not unheard of for the marketing dept to airbrush little details on their photos. It looks to me in the 70 brochure showing the White base S that the bumper ends have been lightly airbrushed and the top mounting flange of the missing bumperettes is either hidden under the overhang of the decklid or has been "simplified" by use of the magic airbrush.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908 View Post
    .... [I] Are you able to scan this for us ?
    Here is (finally) a scan of the document which all started this.
    Its printed April 6 1970., german mag DAZ.

The important information is written on page 23.
    It states the 1970 S german market in standard version "Grundversion" comes in lightweight/110l tank, essentially in competition spec. One could also order the 1970S in special order "Sonderausstattung" with E-Equipement, S standard dials and 62lt tank. In "Grundausstattung", the 1970S was DM28749. The DAZ test shows the 1970S w E equipement.

The German 1970S in competition/standard specs was available throughout 1970 as DAZ test was in April 1970, right at the end of 1970 MY's.

Last edited by 911T1971; 01-21-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Excellent, Karim . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by csbush View Post
    I have a German Market 1970 911S. From what I can tell it was essentially the same as the US version- aluminum rear grill and center panel, and front oil cooler. No other aluminum parts, and fully optioned with driving lights, fog ligts, rear wiper, standard S interior, sport seats etc. I am not the best source though as my car was pretty heavily modified by the time I got it. Much of the above info is from the certificate of Authenticity.

I assume that you could order most anything that you wanted, but the German S wasn't that different from the US version and perhaps there were some predated 73RS concept versions, but that would have been unusual.
    Chuck,
    Can you share some photos of your car or maybe the CoA? Wondering about any details that make this model unique (door handles/door cards, etc)
    Any idea how many of these were made?
    It seems like an awful lot of marketing and PR effort if they only made a few of them.

To me this is one of the more interesting sub plots in the early S cars... basically a 1 year only, special offering for a single market.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

It was not a single market, but instead all markets other than the U.S. (reference the bulletin in post #33) that the "standard" S was available. However most were ordered with the "comfort equipment" or what we would consider a "normal" 70 S. Sure would like to find an original "standard" car. =)
    Last edited by Cornpanzer; 01-21-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    It was not a single market, but instead all markets other than the U.S. (reference the bulletin in post #33) that the "standard" S was available.
    Do we have a proof ? The service bulletin is written in english concerning the US market. But this does not mean that it was available everywhere.
    For exemple, the 911S in standard version was not available in Switzerland. The swiss pricelist does not indicate this model and the 911S was sold standard in "Comfort version". Here is 1970 pricelist Switzerland. (M is optional for "Mehrausstattung", S is "Serie" for standard)

Registry member No.773