Thread: Rare Piston ID help needed...

Rare Piston ID help needed...

After going back and forth with Tom Butler for 3 days, he suggested I reach out to the masses of experts on the board. So I'm reaching. They are 80mm, have a 906 dome profile (or similar), but only 2 rings. They wear part number 80P25+ and underneath that is W3. The W3 is NOT stamped like the E, which is also there. Check out the pics, and if anyone can help...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Andial piston?

Adam are you sure it's 80 and not close to 81 mm? Andial sells the 81 mm Mahle piston and if I recall correct does it not have a ring under the pin.

Richard

I'll have to mic it but they are in 80mm cylinders. Unless the cylinders have been modified they are 80.

By the way, Matt here. I handle the 911 side of things. Nice to meet you.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

The 80.95 stamping on the top of the piston infers to it's size and cylinder type. Which in this case is for a 81mm iron bore. IIRC these were for either IMSA or SCCA as per their rules at the time. I will ask around to get more info tomorrow.
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

So I guess this means the cylinders had a larger bore. They are stamped 80ZD... (can't remember the exact part number, but you know what I mean) but are larger?
    Thanks for all the help, keep the info coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    So I guess this means the cylinders had a larger bore. They are stamped 80ZD... (can't remember the exact part number, but you know what I mean) but are larger?
    Thanks for all the help, keep the info coming!
    Another reason I think they are the Andial supplied oversize pistons (you have to bore your old birals).

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    Another reason I think they are the Andial supplied oversize pistons (you have to bore your old birals).

Richard
    Well why didn't you just say so? Seriously, thanks for the help.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    Well why didn't you just say so? Seriously, thanks for the help.

Matt
    I didn't say so since I am traveling and I have to trust my memory

Harry Pellow taught me not to assume

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    Harry Pellow taught me not to assume
    Far too long since I heard the Maestro mentioned. RIP.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Aaron's correct the were an over bore piston used for some SCCA classes in the past. I have a set and EBS say's they can get rings for them I could use the spares if you want them to go away.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe