Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price check: original alu ducktail

Andrea,

the ducktail looks original to me, I've looked up many photos of original ducktail in the past, and this one looks like the real deal.

@mike: I've heard of steel ones covered with a layer of fiberglass, but not the alu ones.

With all the layers of paint, how are you going to determine whether it is an original part or just a very good replica ? I guess it all depends on the price.

I saw that Nick at Historika has one for sale (NOS), not sure how much he wants for it : http://www.historika.com/parts/details.asp?ProductID=74. But then you'd be certain.

Registered User parced@telia.co's Avatar
    The fiberglass has some issues, the outside is fine exxept for the mentioned missing holes and broken "tag". In my view it's not a great but a OK lid. You can actually hear if it's aluminium, take a finger and set a longer part of the frame in to vibration. You can the check with a steel lid. The feel is also rather different.

Get a nice new GP one for MUCH less money and get Turbo 3.3 brakes for your the rest of the money, just MHO and food for thought.

Regards (with 3.3s and GP)

if you can find a guy to make you a good steel replica out of a normal lid and a new fiberglass tail that would be best, IMHO. should not be more than $1500-2000 at most! and it will appear to be very correct and fit perfectly. then do the 3.3 turbo brakes or upgrade your suspension or change gear ratios with the money saved. especially because your car isn't a 73RS even though a great car nonetheless (it just doesn't command market value to warrant a EUR4.500 lid)
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Scott is correct, nowadays replica parts can almost be sold as original, there are very good replica parts on the market. A guy in the Netherlands did what Scott is telling, he let somebody make a ducktail with aluminum frame, used that one on his replica, and it fits 100%.

@V-8: Dick, there was an identical ducktail (panel) like the one from Historika on ebay.de last week. I guess, as ebay King, you should have bought this, right ?

I agree with Scott and others, if I decide to put a ducktail on the car, it'll be a replica. This one will become wall art somewhere in my garage.
    It's a good, used part, and I think that before installing on a proper, restored RS it would need a light restoration, but the price I had to pay to Antonio (elfer67 over here, thank you again and welcome o this board!) was ok.

@ v-8: the one at Historika is missing the frame, so it's very different from this one.
    @ Mike: Elevenparts has a NOS one, it's unpainted so one can see exactly where is supposed to be alu and where fiberglass. On the one I got, one can see the aluminium on the internal parts where it has not been painted.

Attachment 65567

Attachment 65568

Attachment 65569

Attachment 65570

Regards,
    Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

member #1515
    I'd be very happy to sell my original alu tail for 7,000dls. I think i paid 300 for it it in 1983, good return on investment. If these prices are real I think I'll pull it off my car and go with a replica, I'm getting nervous about getting rear ended.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Ducktail

The ducktail shown on historica appears to be the fibreglass outer panel with no frame. As such, I would assume it has little value.
    David Withers
    68 912 Sand Beige
    73 911E Sepia Brown
    74 Carrera 2.7 MFI - GP White
    75 Carrera 2.7 MFI Targa - Sahara Beige
    95 Carrera RS - GP White
    02 996 Turbo - Black
    07 997 Turbo - Black

R Gruppe #449
    Early S Registry #1037
    Aust Typ 901 #113