Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price check: original alu ducktail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Price check: original alu ducktail

What do you think an original aluminium-framed ducktail is valued if in good original condition?
    I hear that the NOS one that was for sale at elevenparts went for €7.5k/$10k, how much a normal, used one should be?
    Would it fit on my 1974 2.7 carrera or were the 74 ones different (apart from the material of the frame) from the alu ones?
    Thank you,
    Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Andrea

This may help with some of your questions

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=466909

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Aluminum framed?

Man, who knows ... I'd suspect at least $6-7K ... even in this economy. I know of a few steel framed ducks that sold between $3K and $4K in the last year.

I believe all the frames were the same except for the license plate light cutouts; the later frames had the impressions from the manufacturing stamps but were never cut out.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

There was one for sale in Essen (Techno Classica) last week, in ALU, for Euro 4.500,- (ask price - it was there last year as well)

member #1515

price check tail

I'm afraid of getting rear ended now. I have an original 911r hood that I bought from Vasek Polack years ago. Any guesses at what it would go for? I used it on my S for awhile but it tended to bow in at high speed. They are very thin.

Finally, some photos!
    Has been painted with way too much paint, but seems to me the real deal.
    What do you guys think?
    Attachment 65555

Attachment 65556

Attachment 65557

Regards,
    Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

With all the layers of paint, how are you going to determine whether it is an original part or just a very good replica ? I guess it all depends on the price.

I saw that Nick at Historika has one for sale (NOS), not sure how much he wants for it : http://www.historika.com/parts/details.asp?ProductID=74. But then you'd be certain.

Registered User parced@telia.co's Avatar
    The fiberglass has some issues, the outside is fine exxept for the mentioned missing holes and broken "tag". In my view it's not a great but a OK lid. You can actually hear if it's aluminium, take a finger and set a longer part of the frame in to vibration. You can the check with a steel lid. The feel is also rather different.

Get a nice new GP one for MUCH less money and get Turbo 3.3 brakes for your the rest of the money, just MHO and food for thought.

Regards (with 3.3s and GP)

if you can find a guy to make you a good steel replica out of a normal lid and a new fiberglass tail that would be best, IMHO. should not be more than $1500-2000 at most! and it will appear to be very correct and fit perfectly. then do the 3.3 turbo brakes or upgrade your suspension or change gear ratios with the money saved. especially because your car isn't a 73RS even though a great car nonetheless (it just doesn't command market value to warrant a EUR4.500 lid)
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Scott is correct, nowadays replica parts can almost be sold as original, there are very good replica parts on the market. A guy in the Netherlands did what Scott is telling, he let somebody make a ducktail with aluminum frame, used that one on his replica, and it fits 100%.

@V-8: Dick, there was an identical ducktail (panel) like the one from Historika on ebay.de last week. I guess, as ebay King, you should have bought this, right ?