Thread: Classic car insurance that lets you drive to work !

Classic car insurance that lets you drive to work !

Okay, I've asked on other old car boards that I frequent and the replies are pretty scarce, I thought I'd try you guys too (in hindsight should have gone here first, dunno what I was thinking)...

I heard about "http://www.amig.com/" a.k.a. American modern insurance group on the BMW 2002 forum... Much to my surprise, they appear to be exactly like the Hagerty/Grundy of this world (agreed value policy, towing, limited use)...except for the limited use portion which is significantly less limited: they let you drive the classic to work once or twice a week...

Also, they have "non club event, non pleasure drive" coverage for 1K,3K or 6K miles per year. Price is only about $120 over Hagerty for both my cars. I'm not endorsing them (yet), I'm curious if anyone here knows about them and if they are any good ?

I've had a few replies seemingly indicating Leland West actually re-insures with them... I thought this would be worth asking here because, if you are like me, I'd like to drive the oldies a little more often, and the traditional classic policies are very easy to violate if you read the fine print (dinner is not a pleasure drive)...

Any experience with those guys then? It would be nice if they checked out !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Regis turd ab user

Have you tried Chubb?
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

American Modern is a good company, and they will allow you to drive to work a couple of days a week with that specific rider on the policy. Heacock Classic, while they now use use American Mod's program (used to use Infinity), does not sell that option. You will need to call American Mod directly if you absolutely want to drive the car to work here and there. Otherwise, Heacock Classic is a good company as well. Hagerty is great if you want unlimited mileage, the other companies generally want you to select a specific mileage program. I have experience as a broker with all 3 of these companies, and I can say that they are all good companies to work with, depending on your personal situation. As for racing, if it's a non-timed kind of road rally/tour, all these companies seem okay with it- otherwise no coverage.
    1968 Porsche 911 #11830133 (2009- 2012)
    1968 Porsche 911T #11820522 (1997-2007)
    Registry Member #1536
    Hagerty Insurance Guy

Missing my Porsche. Need to find another SWB project!

Current cars:
    1918 Willys-Overland Model 90BT
    1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a
    1977 Chevrolet Suburban C20 "Trailering Special"
    1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
    1992 RHD Toyota Century

Quote Originally Posted by steven0401 View Post
    Have you tried Chubb?
    Steve, do you have/use Chubb? If so, what has your experience been?
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

I just added my 69T to my current California AAA policy for $320/yr, $250 deductible, full coverage, no mileage restrictions, drive it anytime you wish - and they told me the value of the car based on their classic car value guides and it was far more than what I paid for it. Helps that I have a few modern cars insured with them so I get the multi car discount, blah blah blah....

Am I missing something here. Is it too good to be true? Granted I don't have a 911S valued at 60-100K but seems like a straight forward process and coverage.

Hope this helps.

I use Chubb for all my cars - modern and vintage - and also for real estate. I have found them to be astonishingly good. Two claims in ten years, one minor on a vintage car (I was gently rear-ended stopped at a light - MB280SL - and didn't realize there was damage for about six months. No questions, no deductible) and one more major on a modern car. In both cases they followed up to make sure there were no other expenses (towing or car rental) that hadn't been paid, and I used my choice of shop for repairs - neither of which was exactly a competitive body shop. I know they are not the least expensive, but I don't think their expense exceeds their quality.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Quote Originally Posted by EA911 View Post
    Am I missing something here. Is it too good to be true? Granted I don't have a 911S valued at 60-100K but seems like a straight forward process and coverage.
    Hope this helps.
    Well, the proof is in the proverbial pudding. You don't have agreed value with AAA and they may pay you the price in their guide, or they may not - you'll know when you file a claim, right now you're just hoping, versus a solid agreed value policy... But in your case it may be a worthwhile gamble to avoid all those policy rules ;-)

Anyway, I exchanged emails with hagerty today and the tone is not the same as what I heard last time I talked to them (2y ago maybe?)... The email is tagged so I assume that counts as "in writing".. Seems like they are a lot more lenient now. here's their reply, hope this helps:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Our policy is a flexible, limited use policy. We do not, however, limit you to just show and club use. Occasional pleasure driving fits our underwriting guidelines, but our policy is not intended for vehicles regularly driven to work or school or for running errands. We look for usage that is consistent with owning a valuable automobile and the availability of insured regular use vehicles for daily transportation. While the average mileage generally put on a collector vehicle is approximately 2,000-3,000 miles annually, our policy language does not state a specific mileage limitation. We are more concerned with how the vehicle is being used than how much.

With that in mind, while we do not want the vehicle regularly used for running errands like going to the store, please rest assured that your coverages (provided on the policy declarations page) follow you to places like that, the occasional night out at a restaurant (classic cars love a nice evening dinner cruise) and even when it is being worked on at a garage. You may certainly take your classic vehicle to work on a sunny day to show it off, as long as this would be infrequent and you have another vehicle available for your daily work use.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have additional questions, please feel free to call our office at (800)922-4050 and any one of our friendly agents will be happy to assist you. We are open Monday - Friday 8:30am - 8pm, Saturday 8:30am - 4pm and Sunday 12pm - 4pm (Eastern).

--------------
    So, infrequent is not defined quite as clearly as "twice a week" on AMIGs policy, but at that point I no longer see a need to switch if I can drive to work now and then or go to dinner in the old car (infrequently ;-)!
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Greg, that's good to know...Thanks.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Good info Greg - I like AAA but you are right about an agreed value, they may or may not agree when I make a claim, in fact there really is no documentation that states the value except what the agent told me on the phone but I'll roll with them for now and probably switch to Hagerty since the description does suit my intention of use.

Cheers.