Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on colour on a 73 RS replica

Registered User parced@telia.co's Avatar

Need help on colour on a 73 RS replica

The car was original braun metalic so that is out of the question. It has been repainted in a bright shade of silver. Due to all work on the car it will need a full respray.
    I like silver, but like the little bit darker shades more. The car is -79 SC that is back dated so it will be a bastard anyway so a 100% correct 1973 colour is not needed. I would love some input here, preferable with colour codes. So, take the chance to influence me. I have to admit that I often lock at Robert Tiltons SWB though, it´s a piece of art!

Regards,

Color me confused

Hey Pär!

Happy Easter or as I believe they say in your neck of the Swedish woods Glad Påsk.

Your question is a tough one. Especially for vintage colors, how are we to know the mix your painter makes is the same or, even, that the repaint (no doubt) on the vintage car is identical? And, of course, it probably is not identical. I was going to post some color charts but don't really think that would be helpful.

So, what do I suggest? I'd look at recent original 993 and newer silvers on cars, even new Cayenne's (they are big enough to see lots of silver ) and pick a modern silver you like. The paint code for these more recent cars should be easier to match. Alternatively, maybe your painter has his favorite mixes and can give you samples. Good luck!

-Allen-

Arctic Silver

Par,
    Here is a pic of my 71E resto project. Like you, I have been admiring Bob's car for a while. It is one of the nicest I've seen. (if you see his car, next to other early silver cars, his paint just pops) When it was time to paint mine, I emailed Bob and asked him what color he has his early 911 painted. It's Arctic Silver, a color used on newer Porsches. I liked it so much, I painted mine the same color. It's a bit dirty and the pix do not do it justice, but I've had many compliments since.

regards,

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Guys,
    Yes Arctic Silver - newer Porsche color. It's a very "dirty" silver. Not cool blue cast like most silvers. A little bit darker in value. Very obvious when parked next to our silver Jetta in the garage.
    Silver is a great color. However I have been thinking of either a black car due to this greater depression or a variant of Signal Yellow (extract all complementary colors that may be killing it and substituting the base color to make it brighter - Goriup approach). In other words a "no apologies signal yellow", again Goriup's words and approach.
    Had my heart set on silver back then. No one could change my mind. Another color was never even considered but now I'm old and have a hard time finding my car in the parking lot. Need something bright.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

I've been having a craving for signal yellow. It would look great with the black Carrera graphics.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

The Arctic Silver is FANTASTIC on a older car. I also like brighter colors but I like to speed sometimes and I do not want to known as the "crazy guy with the yellow Porsche" (I will have Rally muffler so it will be laud). With Silver, people don't know what passed them. I have had a Yellow 67S, a Bahia Red 73 S, a Speed Yellow 968 CS/M030, a black 72 S, a Wiper Green 73 E, a Gulf Orange 72 S and a SeeBlau 73 E. The RS (SC) is my first in Silver.

Hm, Arcticc Silver, Porsche on the sides, RS fenders and bumpers, fuchs and Cibies mounted on the fender. Yeah, that feels right!!!

Thanks for the input!

member #1515
    gulf blue, the sky blue one. Nice and easy to touch up. Metallics are a pain

73 RS replica

This site will give you an idea of all of the colors along w the coresponding paint code.

Mike

www.elferhelfer.com/farben.htm
    Mike Sofka[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

S Registry #236
    R Gruppe #160
    73 targa 3.4 Jerry Woods built
    73 VW Bay 3.2 Carrera

Devil is in the details

Hm, there is two Arctic Silver. 92T Arctic silver metallic and 92U * Arctic silver metallic. The * indicates water based paint for pearl effect.
    So, which one?

Regards,
    Pär

92T - Arktis Silber is the PPG name probably due to Porsche owning "Arctic Silver."
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com