Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy - pictures and questions (of course)

New guy - pictures and questions (of course)

Finally got my early car. 71T with webers. Pictures make it look much better than it is. Originally conda green (which I will return it to at some point), looks pretty original other than the high back seats and 3 point belts the PO installed. Pan replaced and everything else seems pretty solid. Pretty good for an east coast car. Sat for a good 10 years. The guy who found it did the rust repair and rebuilt the webers. Need to go through everything, brakes, suspension, etc.

Does anyone have a good list of stuff to go through for these cars when you find one that's sat for a good long time?

Can you experts point out what looks original and what doesn't? Anything interesting or out of place?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thumbs up

Wecome to the board Sean.........

Your adventures have just begun........

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Ebay huh, I was watching that one. Cool car.

It was on ebay, but the car was local to me and I know the seller well so I was able to do a full rundown on the car including a leakdown which checked out. He's a good, upfront seller. Condition was just as he described.

Here's an article that's a good place to start:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...repurchase.htm

Lots more potential articles for you here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911world.htm
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Welcome! This is a great site for info on your car, and just as important where to find help. When taken care of the early cars are very reliable, and fun to drive. If you aren't already a member, I encourage you to joint the early S registry and the Porsche Club of America. PCA is a great way to meet like minded enthusiasts, get help from local folks, have fun with your car (autocross, drivers ed, rallies, etc), and get learn about local Porsche resources. Both magazines from these clubs provide you with good resources for parts and service. Shop around before you buy parts there are lots of options, and huge price differences. Ebay is not always cheapest or best!

I recommend getting some sort of the Service manual. If you really want to get into do it yourself maintenance, the factory manuals are great, and guide you through most any task...not the least of which are the wiring diagrams that help you fix electrical problems. The service manuals like Bently or Clymers give advice on what you need to service. Bleeding and inspecting breaks, checking out suspension components, replacing fuel lines, and general servicing of your engine are all good things to do on your 911. If you are inclined to try and restore the car back to original, get the certificate of authenticity from Porsche Cars, and buy 911-912-Porsche-Restorers guide to Authenticity. There are also a lot of other good books on restoring 911s including 101 projects for your Porsche.

If you run into problems the search feature on this site will provide hours of reading on how to solve problems, and there are many folks that frequent this site that are true experts on these cars and can help you work through most any problem.

It is a beautiful car, and hope you enjoy it!
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and the welcome. I am a PCA member, I race a 1982 SC in D class - looking forward to having a street car as well after a couple years focused on racing. Will try and do most of the work myself. Thanks for the links and the suggestions.

Sean

cool car sean. congratulations!
    maybe the drivers side mirror could be a fun first project on it.
    1973 911T targa arctic white (gone)

Wink Welcome!

Very nice car, I hope you'll enjoy it greatly.

One sentence I've always found useful to remember (although I haven't been very good at it): "All the little faults in my car is money in the bank I haven't spend"....

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Quote Originally Posted by red67 View Post
    cool car sean. congratulations!
    maybe the drivers side mirror could be a fun first project on it.
    Thanks. Original mirror is part of the deal. First thing I'll install