Thread: Porsche 917 16-cylinder engine

Porsche 917 16-cylinder engine

I have no idea if these photos have ever been posted on this forum. I just found them on an obscure 1/43 modeling site. I personally have never seen these shots before.

Chuck: if this is a duplication please feel free to delete

I took the photos of the car that houses this engine at RR III in '07. To this day, no one who was at Daytona can tell me if it was actually started there or not. I did not hear it run.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

a couple more to finish up
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Great pictures...

As I always understood this - the 16 cylinder program/car was stillborn...Porsche stopped developing this engine & platform idea early on, in favor of the flat twelve stuff...and the rest...is history. The car seen at rennsport is apparently non-running. I guess - and this would make perfect sense - it's the only existing 16 cyl example out there and, of course, it lives in the museum...

If it turns out I'm wrong on any of this - please set me straight.

Cheers
    R/Thom

John, the engine at RRIII was not a runner, but according to the people from the museum, it will run in the future.

The 16 cyl 917 did in fact have track time at Weissach. Mark Donohue mentions seeing it run in his book. Norbert Singer spoke about the engine recently in CT. Because of the vast development costs Helmuth Bott told NS that he felt the 16 cyl car needed to have the track record to justify it's existence. They called in Willi Kauhsen to set the mark. After numerous attempts he managed to better the 917-30 mark around the test track by .01 second. Singer told Bott they had bested the time, and Bott told Singer to put the engine in the museum and keep going with the turbo 12 development..... the last time the 16 officially ran.

Donohue says that he could hear the front of the engine start before the back part caught.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

This would have been a very expensive little excercise in its day !
    I can imagine Ferry's hair turning white at the bill !!
    Although it did the job and scared Ferrari off further development of the 512 S/M.
    I look forward to hearing it one day.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44