Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Schwinn Paramount

Schwinn Paramount

This should warm the hearts of all you older guys that rode the original Paramount back in the day.

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/paramount/index.html

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Do you know how much they are?
    Rob Abbott

Nice Lug work...

I'd forgotten about the quality that went into those things...I was a Campy-equipped Motobecane man myself...

Cheers
    R/Thom

PS - Still have the bike...looks terrible. Anybody know of any "bike restorers"?

That is really cool Brian! I bought a brand new Paramount in 1975. A P-10 as I recall, the short-wheelbase version. Silver with chrome Nervex lugs. It sold for $675 ( a LOT of money for a bike back then) and I paid as much I could each week over the winter at the local bike shop. All Campy equipped, leather Brooks saddle, Cinelli bars and all!

That summer I went on a 3 week tent-camping road trip using it as a touring bike, complete with the sew-up racing tires! I think I had 10-15 punctures on that trip and became quite proficient at un-sewing and sewing the sew-ups

[QUOTE=fryardds;202711] This should warm the hearts of all you older guys that rode the original Paramount back in the day.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

While I was going to school in Chicago, I worked part-time at Wastyn Cycles on the near Northside. Oscar Wastyn, the owner and a legend of american cycling, a truly gifted and decent man, was the original designer of the Paramount and continued to collaborate with Schwinn until his death on the latest frame-building techniques and tweaks. I learned a great deal from him. I bought bright yellow 60 cm Paramount from him, built it up with full Campagnolo giblets, Nisi rims and Clement tubulars. It had toeclips and I wore wooden soled shoes with cleats. Wore wool jerseys year-round. Rode that set-up for many years during school and after I graduated and moved to the western suburbs. Great road bike.....nice low bottom bracket, 72 1/2 degree headtube, none of that radical criterium steep-angle short-wheelbase nonsense that's all the current rage. It was as stable as a Mercedes sedan and very forgiving. OK, so it weighed a little more than todays miracle bikes but a double century on the Paramount ( with a well broken in Brooks saddle no less ) left you a lot fresher than any of today's hi-tech marvels.

Oscar also built a lugged, Reynolds 56 cm chrome-plated track frame for my son John, ( on my request he put Paramount decals on it) with which John set a national 3000 meter Junior pursuit record that stood for many years ( 3'-44'' ).

If I weren't so overweight and old and riddled with gouty arthritis I'd still be riding my Paramount. It's in Europe now with a cousin's son who rides it frequently. That's one of the many attributes of steel frames....they last forever. Aluminum and carbonfibre have their advantages......longevity ai't one of them.

Good memories

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I figured this would bring out some good memories.

John,

Great stories! Very cool you still have the bike and it is still on the road.

Curt,

A camping trip with sew-ups, that's insane but I love it. I'll bet you did get good at repairs, you should be good a restitching steering wheels then.

Rob,

Not sure how much those frames are. With all the labor involved I'm sure they are $$$$. I didn't realise that Schwinn bikes were back in bike shops for sale. I thought they were only sold in Walmart. What a far cry from the hayday when the original Paramounts were being made.

I missed out on the fancy lugged, silver solder brazed frames. I started riding and racing in the early 80's on plain looking steel frames. I did race on a Paramount Design Group Ti frame in the 90's but that was not a real Paramount but a marketing gimic instead even though the frame was quite good.

Later on I did contact Waterford Precision Cycles (the old Paramount shop now owned by Richard Schwinn who is building these frames) and have them build me a semi-custom Reynolds steel lugged frame. I raced on this for several years and fortunately still have them both. A few years back I sent the Waterford frame back up to the shop and had them repaint the frame Orange with Gold graphics to match the RS.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

This is the Schwinn that I will always remember...

http://kratesintheattic.com/images/orange/orange.html
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I liked the Raleigh Professional with full Campy myself. Much harder to come by these days. Paramounts are readilly available. Like BA prices these are all down by $4-$5 Hundred from a year ago.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

the Krates

I grew up in "the Krates" era..Parents couldn't afford one then, I can't afford one now

Prices are from 1k-5k

Thanks Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Well I guess we can't all be younger than our cars now can we Brian?
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787