Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 911S Rebuild update

1969 911S Rebuild update

Magnesium case looks good- no cracks, so does the crankshaft. Both will be honed. Going to put in the newer style oil pump/ scavenge pump. I like the old one with the signature of the tech who worked it.Going to go with the reconditioned 2.0 heads, and keep it original. Going to go with the stainless steel heat exchangers. The mechanic says that it is approx. a 15HP gain with them, I'm just happy they wont rust.
    All and all, 40 years, 174,000 miles and a 10 year sit time, it handled it pretty well, go Porsche.
    Hopefully 3 or 4 weeks, and it will be on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

The MFI: Fuel pump will be rebuilt, and the throttle linkage wil need some work. It had a lot of slop in it, and only opened 3/4 of the way. There was some backfire damage, and melted 2 of the plastic intake pipes. Looking for aluminum ones at this time. Interesting to see pulled apart, it's my first time seeing it

The 901 Trans. was in good shape overall, the pinion gear looked great. Replacing all the syncros and the dog gear. He has some in stock, caught a break there. Finally get that shift to 1st gear to mellow out!

Going with the bigger 80 amp alternator with the internal regulator. I was told it made the load more bearable if you have the H4 style headlamps.

Looks like the rust was only on the surface. Is being treated, and will be protected and sealed. The tank is going to be pulled, checked and cleaned again after to make sure there aren't any residual contaminants after doing all this work. I think I'm going to to go with the single battery upgrade as well, and simplify life. Any opinions on that subject?

Still going to get the Koni shocks reconditioned. These look like originals with matching serial numbers. I'm told that the reconditions pull the guts out, and put in a newes style cartridge. New bushings will be installed through the suspension system. Also going to get new ball joints, I'm sure they are the originals, and probably shot.

After all of this is done, I will be officially broke ha ha. What a can of worms. It just seems to go exponentially once you dig into it.

Wow, great work! Thanks for posting the photos. I love seeing those normally hidden mechanical bits.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Nice work. i like the single battery set up on my Targa a lot. Simple to do, and reversible with little effort if you just block off the stock wiring setup on the other side.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

SSIs are a clone of the factory mild steel heat exchangers. Not sure there's anything to be gained other than longevity via their belonging to the stainless family, and since being new or newer, in much better shape than the original factory units.

Best wishes on the rest of the build up.

Sherwood