Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Paint Code Plate - Help Please

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would chime in just for kicks. Here is a picture of my 1972 911T's paint code tag. It's missing the hyphen after the paint code too. Interesting stuff...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another T with an 8 in the centre of the paint tag.....this time a US car?....

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    VIN = 9112102213
    Eng# = 6123455
    Trans# = 328461

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...d=1#post808613

Mysterious Four?....

To add to the intrigue I saw this at the weekend, ever seen a four as the last digit?.....

Btw....the current colour isn't correct.

Cheers,

My paint code plate also says 117-9-1, like Gib's. However, the CoA has Light Ivory (131) as the original color. I've attached a photo; do you guys think it's been changed out if and when the car was painted Light Yellow? Is there a spot that might still have the original paint?

Name:  IMG_3941_zpsglpkeal0.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  131.0 KB
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

Paint tag looks original to me judging by the stamping......original paint will be behind the tag, also behind the rubber stop that is situated in the door opening just above the top of the door frames is a good place to look.

Quite possibly the CoA is incorrect....they usually are!

Mystery Solved?.....

I've just received a copy of Carrera 2.7 from Parabolica Press (wonderful looking book) and flicking through note that it states that the number 8 in the middle of the paint code plate indicates the car was shipped to Karosseriewerk Weinsberg for painting whereas the number 9 indicates the car was painted at the Porsche factory.

No idea why my humble 2.4T Sportomatic would have made it there along with most (all?) RS's.

Another mystery solved!

A lot of good info here as well...

http://912registry.org/restore/pcode.htm

Moved here...

http://207.56.98.109/restore/pcode.htm
    Last edited by 72targa; 06-29-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    I've just received a copy of Carrera 2.7 from Parabolica Press (wonderful looking book) and flicking through note that it states that the number 8 in the middle of the paint code plate indicates the car was shipped to Karosseriewerk Weinsberg for painting whereas the number 9 indicates the car was painted at the Porsche factory.

No idea why my humble 2.4T Sportomatic would have made it there along with most (all?) RS's.

Another mystery solved!
    Bit of an old thread but posting a duplicate here of my response to something on another forum that is currently under discussion. Felt it was appropriate to post my response (correction?) here too based on my understanding from respected RS reference sources. My reply there was:

"Hi Darren

For the model year 1973 Carrera RS 2.7 "the great majority of the vehicles were painted directly in the plant but for capacity reasons some were sent to the the body plant in Weinberg to be painted." Source Carrera RS book edition 2. P224

Given that comment in a respected RS reference, I'm not sure why it is being asserted most (if not all) RS 2.7 were painted at Weinberg?

My 1972 production chassis 02xx RS certainly has 9 indicating it was painted at Porsche plant itself as does the example of the 'paint tag, pictured in the latest edition of the Carrera RS book on p223 (it does not say tag pictured with 9 is from an RS but have to assume authors who have access to RS cars during book production would not choose a series car to illustrate their point).

My paint tag says: 908-9-2: Grand Prix White - Porsche Factory painted - Glasurit paint.

There were some really fetching colours available on the two 73 model year paint chip foldout cards and a few unusual special wishes colours were also used on RS model but one thing I like about owning a model year 1973 car with that Grand Prix White it that it wad painted by the factory in the one colour that was reserved exclusively for the Carrera RS model that year. A paint tag with 908 could only appear on a limited edition Carrera RS example (the early Porsche exceptions to any rule notwithstanding).

The 908 tag is a small touch, but one that is relevant to those original examples of the RS painted in the special RS colour of Grand Prix White -- these examples don't share a paint tag digits 908 with contemporary cars. The point I'm making is simply a factual historical distinction resulting from the factory decision to make the 908 colour unique for RS model uniquely, not a comment on personal preference, aesthetics, prettiness of various RS colour examples or the rarity factor of any other colour choices. There may conceivably be prettier / rarer colours for an RS, but they're not the RS model specific reserved colour.

Bringing to life a little RS history....Last night I was at a UK Motorsport Industry Association event in the House of Lords and caught up with a gentleman who was the original owner of first series RS brand new -- he kept for several decades. We speak quite regularly and he has previously sent me letters about his recollections/experiences and details of his trips with that and his other 911 ... S & L that preceded it. Always fascinating to talk with him.

Got a bit hairy as some of the great and good of motorsport and the UK politicians were leaving the event there was a large demonstration being held outside Black Rod's gate about the recent referendum result.

Cheers

Steve"

Maybe things were different for a 74 Carrera ROW and USA editions when there weren't homologation rules and timing considerations ?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-30-2016 at 02:38 AM.

Has anyone every seen a paint code tag where the middle digit is a 7 (e.g., 908-7-2)? What does the "7" refer to?

It seems the use of Weinsberg as paint facility continued for some of the 911 turbos as this is image in Snodgrass lovely book about Turbo

Name:  1EFFCC97-AD1E-48E1-8899-83C9DFF5AF77.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  53.5 KB

Credits: Ryan Snodgrass, Parabolica Press.

Am I right in thinking it’s about half an hour away from the Porsche factory by road?

Wiki gives a few general details: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karo...erke_Weinsberg

See comment about painting thousands of Porsches. Also remember reading they made the 906 tubular frames as well as other things so clearly long relationship and competencies beyond a paint facility. Not a company I’ve heard as being associated with Porsche as much as other well known partners. Wonder if they did any body modifications on some of the models that required some focussed metal work beyond contract to apply paint — things like turbo flares? Perhaps not since not all a turbos ( or Carrera RS) went there for paint.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-15-2023 at 05:56 AM.