Thread: Advice on restoring 9 & 11 x 15 fuchs

Advice on restoring 9 & 11 x 15 fuchs

I have a pair of 9's that have been restored with polished rims and painted centres, and a pair of unrestored 11's.
    I prefer the alloy spoke look, and would like to know if there were optional finishes when the wheels were new. I have seen a number of restored wheels where the entire unpainted areas are in the rough unfinished alloy, and I assume anodised. The #8 Targa Florio? Museum car looks to have unfinished alloy for most of the unpainted areas, with the outer rim finished.

I have some 7 and 8 x 15's for my RS prepared by Harvey Weideman, with the sides of the spokes and flat part of the rim unfinished, and the outer rim and face of the spokes finished. Was that style also available on the 9 &11's?

I have a wheel refinisher here who may be able to do the work, once I decide what I want. Alternatively I might have to send them to Harvey- problem is the cost of freight from and back to Australia far exceeds the restoration cost.
    David Withers
    68 912 Sand Beige
    73 911E Sepia Brown
    74 Carrera 2.7 MFI - GP White
    75 Carrera 2.7 MFI Targa - Sahara Beige
    95 Carrera RS - GP White
    02 996 Turbo - Black
    07 997 Turbo - Black

R Gruppe #449
    Early S Registry #1037
    Aust Typ 901 #113

David you know the answer send them to Harvey, hang the expense.....simple
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

wheels

David, IMHO Clyde is correct. Call Harvey and then send him the wheels. His advice alone is worth the cost of the freight.
    Leon Kreger

It just depends it you want them perfect or not. HARVEY W. Easy choice.
    72S, 72T now ST

David,
    I asked Frau Baer (while ordering in74) why the tops of the spokes didn't match the production wheels and she said that the spokes were to deep too get at with the polishing lathe so they were left rough. "They only need to look like street car wheels from the grandstands" Thus began the RSR finish. (The 8s were almost too deep, if you ever see a factory finish 8 with the spokes polished the ends are rough.) A chance to show NOS 11s that came in for matching.
    H
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Restoring fuchs

thanks to everyone for comments, particularly great shots from Oliver and Harvey. I now understand what needs to be done- just got to work out how to get them to Harvey.
    Maybe we can bring them to Monterey as checked luggage.
    David Withers
    68 912 Sand Beige
    73 911E Sepia Brown
    74 Carrera 2.7 MFI - GP White
    75 Carrera 2.7 MFI Targa - Sahara Beige
    95 Carrera RS - GP White
    02 996 Turbo - Black
    07 997 Turbo - Black

R Gruppe #449
    Early S Registry #1037
    Aust Typ 901 #113