Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Roof Rack for Bikes

Smile Vintage Roof Rack for Bikes

I've been doing a bunch of searching here, PP and online and can't quite come to a conclusive answer, so I'm hoping you can help.

I'd like to find out if the period (or period looking) roof racks for our cars have the equipment to properly secure a bicycle. Has anyone seen this done lately?

My 911 is my only car and I'd like to get a bike strapped on up there to appreciate some rides outside of the city.

Many thanks.

Jorge
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

I got this one on my 912, if you need one just let me know i may be able to get another one....

looks and fits superb!

you can contact me on kobus@vwispwest.com

Can that 912 really pull a boat or was it a staged shot?
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Hey Kobus,

That looks sweet! Any idea if there is hardware to strap a bike to it securely?
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

Thumbs up

On one of my visits to Northern CA. back in the early 90's I was driving my pick-up (with bike in back) across the Golden Gate and coming up fast in my mirror was an early 911. As he passed I saw he was carrying a road bike that was mounted parallel in back with its rear wheel in a strapped channel attached just rear of the rear bummperette and its front dropout affixed to a quick release mount on the upper engine grill.(front wheel in the car)

He was driving about 15 MPH faster than me, on that surface, weaving to pass cars, and the bike was solid as a rock........

I said to myself 'Son of a Bitc% that's it !!!!' ...........

I've never seen a rig like that again.....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by jcarpio View Post
    Hey Kobus,

That looks sweet! Any idea if there is hardware to strap a bike to it securely?
    there is no hardware for a bike... but if you put the woodslat roofrack on the car... then with some more "modern" bike rack parts i would make it work...

this rack is superstrong and it fits great, I had it custom made for my car.. it cost me just under 500$

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    Can that 912 really pull a boat or was it a staged shot?

It's a staged shot

Hey Kobus, that rack is really neat. are you saying you can maybe get more for around the same price? I might be interested.

Thanks!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Hey Kobus, that rack is really neat. are you saying you can maybe get more for around the same price? I might be interested.

Thanks!

-Mike
    I'll look into it, send me an email on kobus@vwispwest.com so i have your contact info, thanks, Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    these are listed regularly on ebay and samba.it should not be difficult to find them.good luck

Raj
    Hey Raj, i just looked the the samba (put roofrack and roof_rack into the classified search engine) and i couldn't come up with anything...
    loads of racks for VW's.. but nothing for a 911 or 912...