Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Roof Rack for Bikes

Yakima roof rack

Look into the Yakima line of racks and accessories. You'll be surprised as to what will fit onto those roof rails.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Wanted something more period looking that Yakima or Thule, but that might be the way I'll have to go.
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

I'd go for a mix of both... the vintage rack with some modern Thule bike rails attached to it

here's another 911 with one of my racks on it!

member #1515
    I have a thule roof rack for my car, it's great doesn't leave any marks , goes on and off in just a few minutes and keeps my bike secure even above 100 mph. I know we want to keep our cars original but I would rather have my bike not come flying off than have an original old technology rack. I take the rack off when the bike isn't on it, lots of drag. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus View Post

here's another 911 with one of my racks on it!
    Love it! w/ additional characters to lengthen my message and meet the 10 character requirement for posting versus say a requirement of intelligent thought.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

If you aren't determined to be a purist, and looking for something that will work, Thule makes a great system. My old Rabbit had rain gutter like the 911 and the clam nicely around it. It has a little rubber bootie to protect the paint that works really well.
    I like the Thule over tha Yakima systems. Yakima uses round cross bars, where Thule cross bars are squared off. To a dedicated thief, it's easy to spin the bars on a Yakima to get the bike off the top of your car. I've held to this mantra for that very reason. Also the lock mechanisms are housed inside the housing, and are better protected than the Yakimas, in my opinion.
    Sorry for the Subie pic, but it illustrates the square bars that I'm talking about. You can put Yakima trays on the Thule cross beams, don't let them tell you otherwise. I do have Yakima ski racks and a bike tray on it. Yakima trays look cooler.

Hope this helps.

Here is a rack that I am making. I patterned it off an original Amco rack. I've got the original one, a new chrome one and a new semi-gloss black one ready to go.
    On the 912 board there is a car that is often photo'd with a bike on top. Might be another place to search.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Pictures of bike rack over on the 912bbs.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Hey guys! if anyone needs one I have ONE Rack like this Available for pick up in Carson California! it's 495$.

if you would want it mailed out to you send me an email on kobus@vwispwest.com and I'll get the shipping quoted for you.