Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Hub Wheel info

Extended Hub Wheel info

I recently agreed to buy an early factory wood wheel for my '67. In addition to my past as a collision shop professional I also spent several years as an antique furniture refinisher. I felt comfortable buying a wheel pretty much sight unseen (one poor photo). When the wheel arrives, lo and behold it is an early steel, painted-spoke, extended hub version. The wheel is basically extremely sound and a perfect restoration candidate. Here's my question: I have never driven a 901 with the extended hub. Mine current wheel is stock, I'm a long legged 6'1" and very comfortable in my car as is (daily driver). I'd like to use this wheel but am torn: should I unrivet the rim and spokes and mount to a stock hub (can anyone who has done this chime in?). Would I likely be as or more comfortable with the wheel extended? I did a search on this forum and found a bit on this issue..My gut usually tells me to leave original units as is---just find another wheel and be done with it? Anyway, a few opinions would be very appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    I recently agreed to buy an early factory wood wheel for my '67. In addition to my past as a collision shop professional I also spent several years as an antique furniture refinisher. I felt comfortable buying a wheel pretty much sight unseen (one poor photo). When the wheel arrives, lo and behold it is an early steel, painted-spoke, extended hub version. The wheel is basically extremely sound and a perfect restoration candidate. Here's my question: I have never driven a 901 with the extended hub. Mine current wheel is stock, I'm a long legged 6'1" and very comfortable in my car as is (daily driver). I'd like to use this wheel but am torn: should I unrivet the rim and spokes and mount to a stock hub (can anyone who has done this chime in?). Would I likely be as or more comfortable with the wheel extended? I did a search on this forum and found a bit on this issue..My gut usually tells me to leave original units as is---just find another wheel and be done with it? Anyway, a few opinions would be very appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Find another stock wheel...The extended hub is more rare and special to some.The regular wood wheels are much more available than yours.You can always trade it for the one you need.....Cliff

Raj--A good comment...Funny you should make that statement, because as a refinisher I worked with several dealers here in Los Angeles who sent me stuff specifically because I worked very hard to preserve original patina--I pretty much did not want to work on pieces that people wanted to "restore" when such work was uncalled for--you can always go out and buy new if that's what one is looking for. When I wrote the first post, I had the word "refurbished" in place but changed it to "restored"........ I am always laboring to preserve the originality of my own car. It kills me when I have to bite the bullet and replace an original part, but sometimes things are so far gone they can't be brought back. This wheel is a bit beyond the clean and preserve case. A thoughtful "refurbishing" could certainly maintain the hidden patina though.....
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Just get another wheel and be done w/ it.

Or trade it for another wheel (I could do such a swap) but I would not mesh w/ this wheel if I were you.

Just my $.02

Richard

The extended hub wood wheel in my '65 (kardex) is the best change I have made. Being 6'2", it is easier on my knees. At your height, you should be thankful. FWIW, I am happy to give you a std restored wood wheel in exhange for yours, should you decide otherwise.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Here's a fun wheel...now I just need the car to go with it! An extended hub, NOS aluminum wood wheel w/ NOS horn button!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

wood

When the patina looks like black tar in the wood I think its time for a sandin' and yes, refinishing. I bought a wood wheel that looked like ebony but looks nice after sanding. I like to see wood grain. The 911 wood wheel had a glossy finish originally and thats how I like them to look. A nice finish brings out the grain. Wood oxidizes and a good finish protects it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Here's a fun wheel...now I just need the car to go with it! An extended hub, NOS aluminum wood wheel w/ NOS horn button!
    That's a very nice rug you have there ... the wheel's an interesting piece, too.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Jim,

Bolt it up and run it for awile and see what you think of it. Then you'll at least be making an educated descision. For the record, I have an extended hub wheel and love it

Cheers,
    Dave
    911S registry #1103
    R-Gruppe #513
    1967 912 converted to 2.2
    Period Dune Buggy

Some drive Porsches' to be seen.....
    I prefer it when nobodys looking.

Dave (and others) thanks for the feedback so far....good suggestion to run as is and live with it for a time...it is just a steering wheel swap after all--no big effort required. Is the extended horn contact pin an issue as far as availability?
    Jim