Page 58 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    Sadly, mine is beyond saving.
    Aye????
    Looks like its just getting warn in.
    Mark

It's the angle. The top part is all dried out and parts of the leather are gone. I couldn't bear to embarrass the wheel by showing it's bad side.

Many greatly enjoyed miles, if only they could talk,, the stories they could surely tell.
    Mark

It's been either my dad or me driving the car since the wheel was new. So I can attest to them all! Sadly, the damage is primarily from sun damage from the car sitting outside for too long. This is was not on a Porsche - though it is a cousin. The current plan is to restore it and use it on the next Porsche in the family that my son is looking for.

Good stuff Jay, You cannot beat a bit of hand me down heritage
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    .....Finally, do any of the vendors provide very nice leather replacement kits? Sadly, mine is beyond saving......
    .....I don't know where you could get a leather replacement kit but if it helps I'd be happy to swap it with a BRAND NEW Prototipo wheel!

I love the 38 cm Springall in my '66 912. It's just the right size for me as I'm tall, also suits the aluminium trimmed dash. Its 50+ year old leather is in great shape! But the aftermarket hockey puck (bought from SM in Cali) is tragic quality-wise compared to the original. It's heavy like stone, the Porsche crest on vinyl (not leather as it should be) is totally incorrect. The 42 cm wooden wheel and its original horn push are being kept on shelf. Name:  66 912 Dash 1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  113.2 KB
    Last edited by sambapati; 12-03-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Gyorgy (George) Gombos
    '64 Sunroof 356C
    '66 912
    '72 2.4S Targa (one-off RUF-conversion)
    '95 993 C2

I saw what appeared to be a factory wood steering wheel on a green '68 912 Targa this weekend in Malibu. But it was not the normal large diameter. I didn't take out a tape measure. But it sure looked like it was closer to 14". Was there such an animal? Or was this a beautiful recreation?

The car itself was in immaculate conditioned. The owner was a very nice gentleman, who was proud of the car - which was cool since he is the type who could own any Porsche out there.

I have to share this - it' pure wall art as the rim is broken. But that's beyond patina and it looks so good in person.
    And dished stacked logo in 35cm is pretty rare
    Name:  P1150612.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  106.0 KB

That's glorious Uli, a real one-off

Just where is the rim broken?....no way of saving it?

Cheers,