Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

Original post.............
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 08:45 AM.

steering wheel

Raj

I very much agree with your weight statement, however I do have a factory wood wheel that the metal is aluminum and it is light as a feather.

Raj,

Those are some really beautiful wheels.

What is the part # on the first wheel shown? It looks like a 914-4 wheel. Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Abarth

sorry no hub still looking

Raj
    Which hub are you looking for? A solid hub for a MOMO, Nardi or ??

Richard

Richard
    I am looking for a solid hub that will fit the abarth.

Raj
    Raj if you give the specs 'we' might be able to help you.

What you need to measure is the heart to heart distance from two sequential holes, the same straight across and the diameter of the center hole.

Once you know which one fits your wheel you can identify a correct one pretty easy when it comes along.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brian

I was wondering who was going to pick-up on that wheel-it came off a ST was told it was original to car-but interestingly it is RS diameter wheel, with the horn button.Have not taken it apart to inspect the part number.

Raj
    Raj,
    It couldnt have come off of a ST with that 914 hub on the back. Of course this is assuming that the hub wasnt installed later as RS,ST,RSR wheels are nothing more than modified early 914 wheels anyway.
    The think that I noticed is that the back of the splined hub has a step in it which would typically indicate that it is a late 914-4 wheel.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

One will be really surprised how much these wheels weigh a ton-frankly i don't understand why the factory used them with weight reduction in mind on their race cars.
    There must be a reason for that; maybe steering wheel was intentionally made heavy to reduce vibrations from lightly laden front end?

Has anybody noticed any difference with lighter aftermarket wheel?
    1973 911T targa (9113510254)
    signal yellow & black
    M409 sportseats leatherette & corduroy
    M424 fuel tank 85 l with emergency tire
    M470 comfort equipment
    M473 front bumper steel with spoiler

Is it possible that weight of the ST steering wheel was to combat the forces coming off the wide front wheels? Up until the ST the 911s had (relatively) narrow front wheels. With the ST they went to 9" wide tyres in the front. Perhaps a light steering wheel was deemed inadequate to deal with the forces coming off such wide wheels.

Cheers,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

http://nicolashunziker.com

Dave

Are the 914-4 wheels 380mm and did they ever come with center horn button-i don't know the answer.I left it the way i got it so as to not mislead.I will check with the source who i purchased from will let you know.

Raj
    I have such a 914-4 / 380 mm wheel somewhere laying around. I don't know which model it came from but I would think a 914 since it came w/ a 914-6 wheel from a 914 guy.

The wheel takes the hockey puck, butterfly and the later horn pad.

Richard

I have a large collection of aftermarket period steering wheels mostly made between the early 70's to the mid 80's. Momo's, Nardi's, Racemark's, MotoLita's, Abarth's, a Corsaro and others. Almost every steering wheel with its hub attached is lighter than my standard 380mm factory wheel and horn pad.

I've been working on taking some photos and will post some soon.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST