Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

Old Steering Wheel

An old, 'no-name' brand, small diameter steering wheel, black cover w/ red stitching, signed 'Mark Donahue' . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Saw this wheel on a '73 S this weekend. Original owner car...special ordered through Stoddard. Owner specifically ordered the thick-grip "RSR" wheel, but notice the 'projecting hub' (extended hub). This is all original and factory installed!
    I have never seen another thick grip wheel (or any 380mm wheel for that matter) with the extended hub. Pretty cool!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

MOMO GT , unmarked MOMO[with finger grips]

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycar View Post
    Here`s my recent aquisition, a 380mm 805 beautifully restored and double wrapped by Dr 911E. After driving with a large diameter wooden wheel for years, I cannot believe the transformation that a reduction in diameter of only 40 to 45mm can make to the driving experience. Rather than feeling like a GT, my car now feels like a proper sports car. I highly recommend it. Regards Mike. (apologies for MASSIVE image)
    I just returned from a spirited coastal drive after swapping out my 350 mm Ronnie Peterson wheel for the beautiful "large diameter" S wheel I got from Rick "66S" and I have to say - after getting over the shock of the difference in size - the larger diameter wheel feels sooooo right.
    Something about the thinner, harder feel, the wider stance - I don't know...the farther I went the better it felt, the wider the grin - it communicates with the road so well.
    The 380mm Momo Elite I have is also pretty sweet - but right now the boat wheel stays.

Now I will have to try out some 4 1/2 wheels....

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Is David G. from CO on this board? I'll bet he has a hub. hesaputz over on Pelican is where you can contact him.

Im sending my 380 914/6 wheel out to be recovered. I am going to have him (Don @ Dallas Steering wheel) re wrap it thicker (1.625) but I am not sure how it should look at the spokes. At the top of this thread there is an ST wheel that has leather laying flat for a few mm where it meets the spokes. On the other original 380mm wheel it looks like the leather stops right at the rubber.

Im using it on my 70t with an early hockey puck but I want to make sure that I do it the correct way. Cornpanzer is at Monterey so I cant ask him and if I get it wrong I will never hear the end of it!!! I have attached (borrowed) pix of the wheels in question. TIA. Mark
    1997 993 C4S, Not totally stock
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3
    1970 911T, Lilly. Slate Gray 3.2ss PMO etc Sold!
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Early S Register Member #1386

Mark,
    Look at post 30. There is very little flap of leather onto the spokes, but of course these were hand made, so I dont know if there is a "right" way. One thing to tell Don is not to put padding under the spoke part of the leather. He does a fantastic job, but he pads the spokes which is not accurate.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Yes Mark, if we see 'puffy' leather at the spokes you will not hear the end of it.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Here are the pictures that Don sent me back. This is how he said it will look. I emailed back that they are too puffy and not to add the 1/16th material there. The last thing I want to do is have the steering wheel police after me! If anyone has a good close up of the correct way the spoke should look please let me know. Anything I can send him will help!
    PS, Brian, your headliner is at Daves house. dont dare come down here without calling me. I want to see your car!
    1997 993 C4S, Not totally stock
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3
    1970 911T, Lilly. Slate Gray 3.2ss PMO etc Sold!
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Early S Register Member #1386

These pictures might help - original Factory 'RSR' 380mm wheel:

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105