Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

Yes, I started with an adjustable extension from OMP. This extension was very comfortable to dial in the optimum reach but it was not very stylish designwise in an old 911.

Then I switched to a custom fabricated extension in black annodized aluminum that I combine with a black Momo/Raid adapter if I use flat steering wheels to gain an extra 2 cm.

I feel that optimum reach adjustment is one of the major elements of car control, so finding the proper spacer is the first thing I do in any classic car. There are many unobtrusive spacers on the market for your individual choice. I strongly recommend looking into this!
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by Anatol View Post
    It took me a while to realise.......
    ....looks like it was well worth the wait!

Truly stunning collection Anatol......once in the car I doubt I could ever let go of that gorgeous Proto!

Anatol - agree a 100%: optimum reach adjustment is one of the major elements of car control.

I am running a 40 mm dished 380 mm RS Repro from Mittelmotor at the moment. Feels good and does wonders for reach. But I am not a 100% happy with how it looks - it just looks too new. I have a 70s Raid and a Momo that I want to try but they only make sense with an extension. However, ideally more than 20 mm. Where did you find yours?

Oh, and by the way: envious of your collection. The Elite 375 is FANTASTIC!

Name:  MIB_0665 small.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  112.7 KB
    Last edited by Sun888; 04-12-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    '73 S Targa Gold Metallic
    Registry #2890

Anatol, I had a 380 first gen prototipo back in 2009...it was a beautiful thing but way, way too big for my tastes.
    I mean... it looked gigantic, but then, I think 370s are too big too.

I agree its a great idea to use a less expensive wheel as a daily runner... nothing worse than finding a crack in an old MOMO you spent a small fortune on... ask me how I know...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Mark, agree with you as far as an LWB is concerned. On an SWB, I feel that 350mm is way too small. The car steers with me rather than the other way round, with a small diameter wheel.

I felt uncomfortable with a 390mm Nardi which was too large for fast hairpins. The 380mm Momo is fine and has a wonderful feel to it. But 370mm may be the sweet spot.

Mark, I need to repeat myself: what a nice interior you have! Really looks the business!
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    .......I agree its a great idea to use a less expensive wheel as a daily runner...
    Some of you guys use different steering wheels for daily driving and for special events (e.g. dressing for the occasion)? How far do you take this - wheels, seats?

Sherwood

Sherwood, you mean, you only have one pair of seats? 8-(

And you use the same pair all the time??

Eeeehh!!

Yes, indeed, apart from the steering wheel collection I also have two sets of seats: correct 68 sports seats and perfect R replica seats.
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

I only have a few steering wheels. Since others have more, that proves I am not crazy.

3 sets of seats, a few sets of wheels a small boxful of gear shift knobs and about 30 steering wheels for me. ahhh....that feels better.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    Into the car, (not the 911), today. Thanks again to Mark M. for his work on the history behind these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1