Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experts advice on Foil Stickers on a 1973 911...

Experts advice on Foil Stickers on a 1973 911...

I know this has been discussed before but there seems to be some confusion.

On Chucks (Kicked my butt) 73 911S the decals are in a different place then the decals on my original paint, very late (7/73) 911E that was built probably on the last day for the 1973 production.

The two largest decals nearest the latch are reversed.

I also noticed on my 10/72 production 73 911S that there is not a little pad on the left side for the rubber bumper that is on my late 73 and on Chucks car.

Anyone know if there is a "correct" placement for the 73 decals?

Sorry for the lousy photos (iphone inside)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Klaus knew it was the last day of production so he enjoyed a nice liquid lunch. Hence, funny sticker placement.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

The little pad appeared in production panels around Feb/March 73. It's a great way of working out if a pre 73 car has ever been restored with post 73 parts. There have been several "never restored" pre 73 cars for sale on various forums that have the pad and have therefore had replacement panels. An irish green car comes to mind that was supposed to be all original paint and yet had the pad.

Sorry can't help you with the decals.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Marco you dont know anything about vintage 911s! Klaus was off that day!

Klaus was actually at the bar drowning in beer in a very deep depression knowing that starting after Holiday he was going to have to install those horrible bumpers on all of the new Porsches.

It was Gunther and Dieter who built my 911E!

Lightbulb

I'm pretty sure this is a deal Jeff......

Mine is a post March, April build, car......

Cheers

BTW - When I kicked your butt, we were'n going anywhere near the 'top speed' of your car ... but that's a whole other story...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hi,

Don't want to steel the thread but along the same lines. Does anyone know where to get new stickers? Mine look worse than the ones in the firs pic.

Thanks,

Chris

73 911 E

Talking Chuck you passed me at around 85-90+MPH...

You are definitely faster then I am in both the turns and on the top end! You have your car dialed in and set up perfectly, you also have tons of seat time and are a great driver. You basically have an RS and I am in racing you in a Targa. Think about how far and hard I have to push to stay with you and remember I used to beat you... But not any more.

With the 2.7 you have more torque but I have the short gears (3 and 4) and I wind the motor to insane RPM. Thats why my car is quicker to around 90MPH. My car being a Targa with factory air (blows cold) is probably 170-180 heavier then your coupe. I bet if I took off all of the air cond parts (3 condensors, compressor, lines, evaporator,dryer etc) I would loose around 150lbs. I would probably get to around 100MPH before you could catch me. In the tight stuff that would probably be enough to stay out in front.

Plus everyone knows that Targas dont handle as well as coupes and having 60lbs of compressor hanging out on the tail definitely is not good for handling on any Porsche.

As you also know I have been beating on that same engine since 1992. And I do mean BEATING! By constantly shifting at 8,500-9,000 RPM! Tony is convinced the motor is played out and needs a new top end. But it still runs pretty strong for played out wouldnt you agree?

Also I no longer know my own car. Ever since the restoration it is not the same car. Everything is new (shocks, bushings, Turbo tie rods, tires etc etc). The old car was a little bit loose and I had a lot of seat time in it and she felt like an old shoe... I knew exactly how far to push the envelope. I think I actually liked the car better before all of the "upgrades".

Now because the car is ultra tight and somewhat bouncy I have no idea how far to push. Sometimes newer is not always better. I no longer have the seat time only driving her on rare occasions. The car is probably better but I need to spend a few days at Willow to get comfortable again and find the edge.

I used to not care about the car but only about winning. But after a $25,000 restoration and using some of my best parts (NOS Sigla, TTG Lens, NOS H1s) I am now driving with huge dollar signs in my eyes. Every time you spit one of those boulders at me it was like being stabbed with an ice pick and I would get rattled for a split second and back off. Trying to beat some one as fast as you are and thinking about the car absolutely does not work!

The last time we ran I got lazy and I still had the AC belt on and all of my tools and crap in the trunk. We will meet again soon on the road of life and I will probably be ready!

Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    You are definitely faster then I am in both the turns and on the top end! You have your car dialed in and set up perfectly, you also have tons of seat time and are a great driver. You basically have an RS and I am in racing you in a Targa. Think about how far and hard I have to push to stay with you and remember I used to beat you... But not any more.

With the 2.7 you have more torque but I have the short gears (3 and 4) and I wind the motor to insane RPM. Thats why my car is quicker to around 90MPH. My car being a Targa with factory air (blows cold) is probably 170-180 heavier then your coupe. I bet if I took off all of the air cond parts (3 condensors, compressor, lines, evaporator,dryer etc) I would loose around 150lbs. I would probably get to around 100MPH before you could catch me. In the tight stuff that would probably be enough to stay out in front.

Plus everyone knows that Targas dont handle as well as coupes and having 60lbs of compressor hanging out on the tail definitely is not good for handling on any Porsche.

As you also know I have been beating on that same engine since 1992. And I do mean BEATING! By constantly shifting at 8,500-9,000 RPM! Tony is convinced the motor is played out and needs a new top end. But it still runs pretty strong for played out wouldnt you agree?

Also I no longer know my own car. Ever since the restoration it is not the same car. Everything is new (shocks, bushings, Turbo tie rods, tires etc etc). The old car was a little bit loose and I had a lot of seat time in it and she felt like an old shoe... I knew exactly how far to push the envelope. I think I actually liked the car better before all of the "upgrades".

Now because the car is ultra tight and somewhat bouncy I have no idea how far to push. Sometimes newer is not always better. I no longer have the seat time only driving her on rare occasions. The car is probably better but I need to spend a few days at Willow to get comfortable again and find the edge.

I used to not care about the car but only about winning. But after a $25,000 restoration and using some of my best parts (NOS Sigla, TTG Lens, NOS H1s) I am now driving with huge dollar signs in my eyes. Every time you spit one of those boulders at me it was like being stabbed with an ice pick and I would get rattled for a split second and back off. Trying to beat some one as fast as you are and thinking about the car absolutely does not work!

The last time we ran I got lazy and I still had the AC belt on and all of my tools and crap in the trunk. We will meet again soon on the road of life and I will probably be ready!

Is all that squaking, rambling and justification your way of saying you got whipped soundly and sent to bed with no supper?

Why, I believe it is.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

member #1515
    Chuck, Your engine bay looks fantastic. You make me want to work on mine. My car is getting all new elephant racing rubber bushings everywhere + corner balanced and aligned to bring her back to original specs. The old front poly bushings squeeked and my rear banana arm bushings were non existent. I really want to feel the difference. I'll start work on cleaning up my engine this summer.

Chuck's car is just the bees knees. Its what we aim for, to get our cars set up as nicely as his ...
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown