Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tight clutch on '68 911

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    If the white cable sheathing has broken loose that will certainly not help things so the new cable will hopefully cure your problem, and for the reinstall the cable routes over the bell crank. Should come straight back from the bulkhead, doesn't wrap around any fuel lines. There should be a bracket off the side of the gear box that a fabric loop attached to to hold the bowden tube up.
    Interesting about the bracket. Ed can you post up a pic of said bracket and the cable routing, is it in the factory manuals anywhere? I'm sure other early car owners would need this too!

Tight clutch on '68 911

Mike, here is picture of cable routing. Sorry we don't have the support bracket on yet, but it would go on the nose cone bolt closest to the cable arc. It would be a 90 degree bracket with a cloth strap around the cable and bolted to the bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Perfect, thanks!!!

I have all the parts (including the bracket/hanger) coming to me in the mail from Will at CSP, who was VERY helpful!

Update: Installed a new clutch cable, bowden tube, and hanger bracket from Will at CSP and everything works great now!

I had a longer skinnier bowden tube installed on my car before, maybe the later clutch cable? The clutch cable itself also had a plastic sheath all the way up to about a foot back from the clevis on the pedal. So obviously somewhere along the way someone installed the wrong part, maybe that is what trashed my old TO bearing and tube.

Sure is nice having a nice light operational clutch now!

Thanks for posting your successful outcome. Often the "fix" and followup doesn't get mentioned and I am left hanging like the last chapter of a book is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
    Update: Installed a new clutch cable, bowden tube, and hanger bracket from Will at CSP and everything works great now!

Sure is nice having a nice light operational clutch now!
    Mike,

Great! That is one thing folks forget about: how much lighter (and nicer) the 901 clutch is compared to the later 915 one!

-Allen-